Archinect
anchor

MArch Portfolio Review (Another One)

AMA_xv

Well this should be interesting. I was not planning on posting anything prior to the applications but since my curiosity got the best of me, here goes:

I am applying for the MArch (Professional) with an architecture background, potentially looking for AP

I am mostly interested in what others think about the opportunity for admittance into a "top tier school" based on my portfolio and scores. Examples: MIT, GSD, Columbia, etc.

GRE: V/153 Q/152 W/3 I know its not good, I am hoping my portfolio will make up for some of the slack. I did very little preparation for the exam and could potentially score higher but I do not have the time or money to retake it. So these are my numbers...

Portfolio Link: https://issuu.com/amarchitecture/docs/print_layout2

Website: http://www.anthonymullarchitecture.com/ (where you can also find portfolio)

Any opinions on the portfolio and/or the test scores are appreciated, and I would love to hear from others who might be applying. 

Thanks in advanced

Dec 2, 16 2:38 am
archietechie

Here goes:

- The layout is graphically strong and visually attractive without being overbearing so I'd say you did a great job there

- Since it's too late in the year to change your content, you could still improve by representing more detailed drawings e.g. Axos; sections; renders etc.

- Pg 4-5 for instance is incredibly plain for your best project. I understand you're adopting this aesthetic but try referencing pg4-5 of this portfolio instead for similar inspiration (https://issuu.com/mainike/docs/draft2.0_pages)

- Pg 8-9 Plans could use more work e.g. Wall/window thicknesses; floor hatches; fixtures & remove the bold outline from your model site plan as it simply doesn't work

- Pg 14-15 Partis would benefit if you removed the hand. Again, work on those plans.

- Pg22-23 Remove bold outline from model photos

- I'd also break down the paragraphs into blurbs between projects as your content comes off rather plain

- All your partis could be scaled down in size, giving the illusion that they're detailed. The main issue then is the lack of content, hopefully you could address this by placing more illustrations. E.g. Vantage Point - It's a parametric proposal so you should include your matrix of explorations and how you arrived at your final outcome.

Sidenote: Arturo Tedeschi is a noted programmer, I have his 2 books on GH.

Dec 2, 16 3:02 am  · 
 · 
AMA_xv

Archietrchie,

First off, thank you for your in depth response, I think you touch on some points that I have already been struggling with such as my plan drawings. I am hoping to add more detail to the first and second project plan drawings to show use of spaces etc. And revamp the concluding pages of the first project. 

Again thank you, I will certainly take all critiques into consideration.

And yes, Arturo's books are really helpful for parametrics 

Dec 2, 16 2:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: