anchor

Portfolio Critique - Msc/M.Arch

Hello! 
at the moment I'm applying to
ITKE-ICD 
IoA Studio Lynn
KU Leuven 
TU Delft

Im at my final year of Bsc Architecture it's 10 semester program at the 8th semester you get (RIBA I)  and at the 10th you get a Bsc.

I was wondering if you can critique my portfolio and tell me what's missing, I applied last semester to Lynn studio but didn't get the acceptance. 

https://issuu.com/khaliltareq/docs/the_portfolio_final_to_print

Nov 17, 16 2:45 pm
Non Sequitur

Pretty basic, tbh. I'd drop the photography section as well as that front part showing skills and personal statement. It's misleading and dishonest to self-rate software skills with only basic studio uses an no real-world experience.

Edit and full justify the text... and add some sex appeal to those line drawings. They are boring and certainly don't represent the skill of someone boasting 85% skill level in photoshop/illustrator.  95% Revit? please... Way to set people up for disappointment.

Nov 17, 16 3:14 pm  · 
 · 

well line drawing are done by cad and revit / in my college submitting these line drawings is essential to pass, can you guide me on how to enhance them? should i put them as graphics or rendering?

on the skills should i post my grades in these subjects with the projects submitted to show them? 

what do you think i should add as projects to the portfolio, i posted academic/ experimental/environmental/freelancing and some technical drafting from working execution drawings 

thank you in advance! non sequitur!

Nov 18, 16 6:15 am  · 
 · 
Spoons

Not really sure why you have to put PORTFOLIO in the largest size possible across the cover, are you scared they won't know what it is unless it's made so explicit?  

Get rid of the skills section, coming out of school it is all made up.  Your statement of purpose needs a ton of refinement, and I don't think you need to use the opportunity to brag about yourself.  You need to talk about your interests in architecture and how your explorations in your portfolio speak to those interests.  

I agree with Non Sequitur, your line drawings are incredibly boring, none of them bolster the concept for the projects.  You say doing these drawings was just a bare minimum requirement to pass the studio? Well these drawings certainly have the appearance of being the bare minimum.  To 'enhance them' may require you to redraw them in a way that helps to clarify what the project is about.  If you are such a Greg Lynn fan look at his drawings as inspiration. Don't put work in your portfolio to show that you did it, put it in if it helps communicate what the project is about.  

Don't think the creepy net of your head picture at the end is necessary.  

Nov 18, 16 8:40 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Good one Spoons, that covers pretty much how I was going to answer Khalil's follow up questions. I remember when I sat across the interview table from prospective undergrad students... and we almost always dismissed students who, when asked about a piece of their portfolio, answered "it was a class assignment". I'd expect far more ownership of the material.

I'd add that I'd prefer to see more dirty (but well presented) sketches/mock-ups than boring plans.  How about you add realism to your drawings? not all walls are the same thickness, and you won't get very far if the content of your large-scale plans is generic default CAD blocks.... also, one egress stair from a 40+ story twisty tower? Come on... there, spend some time and make these look convincing or don't include them at all.

Nov 18, 16 10:22 am  · 
 · 

non sequitur and spoons, 
thank you so much for your critique, i am already working on enhancing them, some few questions though. 
getting rid of the rating, should i just say that i worked with these programs before without any further details?
for the line work, or cad drawings, do you think it would be better if i just presented rendered images or illustrator drawings of the plans? what do you think fit to present the plans and sections?
and in general, you think adding sketches and diagrams is better than adding the cads?
and finally non sequitur what do you generally expect to see in the portfolio of undergrad or fresh graduate? 
thank in advance sir! your comments are very appreciated! :D 

Nov 18, 16 6:10 pm  · 
 · 
Rbsm

I agree on dropping the photography section and redoing the cover as well,

on a side note i really liked your desert house project.

Nov 19, 16 4:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Reinforcing previous comments, my take is this. For Arch Undergrad to Arch Grad the portfolio is about showing architectural thought.

Why have that statement? You have to do a separate statement of purpose anyway. I would remove it.

Why have your computer skills? It’s a school, they only care about what you can produce, and that should be evident in the projects (plus, right or wrong, people will call bull on your self-appraisal). I would remove it

Why have a photography section? When you are going from architecture degree to architecture degree, other content sends the wrong message. I would remove it and add more architecture work if you need to fill things out.

Other comments:
- I also think the cover could use work.

-why are some pages sideways?

-text formatting looks inconsistent.

-there are lots of ways you can spice up line drawings, but to start I think it’s always good to add at least one extra layer of information.

-some diagrams would be nice.

-I’m going to be specific on this one because it bothered me. You have the projects listed in a strange semi-legible table of contents on the second page, but then for each title page you have varied information. You have a mixture of titles, subtitles, locations, and project numbering that is inconsistent between project and index. It needs some hierarchy.

-The base work itself looks pretty decent; I think you could get into these programs if you just figure out how to present yourself and your work.

Nov 20, 16 4:23 am  · 
 · 

Natematt and rbsm
Thank you for your critique its very clear and specific, In general i will be redoing it and adding more recent projects from my previous internship and current academic study, then will upload a new one. thank you so much sir. 

Nov 21, 16 4:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: