Archinect
anchor

Design management

manasachegu

Hey all! 

I am planning to shift my career from architecture (pure design) to the management side. I'm a graduate with a BA architecture degree. I was wondering if any of you have have pursued career in design management? Is it similar to project management? I want to remain in the architecture or design field, so if you could help me understand how to go about pursuing design management , it would be really great.

I was wondering if I should still pursue masters in architecture for licensure, then pursue design management based on professional experience or would companies prefer a management degree in specific? 

Thanks in advance.

Oct 22, 16 11:04 am
curtkram

if you're planning on managing the design of buildings, i would advise you get the license.  the practice of architecture isn't just fancy sketchup renderings of unbuildable buildings like you do in studio.  many of the people who stamp drawings are more focused on keeping their businesses running rather than pretty pictures.

if you're planning on managing the design of something other than buildings, the license probably won't help you much.

as for how to pursue a career in design management, i assume you start working somewhere as an entry level designer, work hard, do a good job, listen to those who know what they're doing, and eventually get promoted to design manager.

Oct 22, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: