Archinect
anchor

Minorities in Corporate Firms

BulgarBlogger

Does anyone have any information on this? I feel like there are a ton of minorities in the production departments and not too many in the design departments. Just curious...

Oct 20, 16 1:34 pm
chigurh

i would agree with your observation.

Oct 20, 16 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I was hired at an all White English company, I assume I was hired for diversity.

Oct 20, 16 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I've only worked with about 4 black architects, all were extremily talented designers.

Oct 20, 16 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

minorities get work done.  the rest b.s their way out in the 'design' department

Oct 21, 16 12:03 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

^ hey accesskb. dont do me like that.

Oct 21, 16 11:09 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

"A ton of minorities"? I haven't been in every corporate firm in the U.S but two of the 7 firms I have worked, one with about 50-60 employees and other with well over a hundred employee's, in the architecture dept of both there was only one minority, ME!

Unless you are counting women as minorities in architecture, (which they are) then me plus 3!

I really don't see design opportunities being handed out like halloween candy. most time a firm is hiring they want production typically over design and most recent grads, interns, & jr. arch's dont really know how to "design" (local, state, federal, national code regulation, understanding of cost and materials etc.) anyway

With that said, I personally have developed a sixth sense about many things in corporate America but minorities being held back from design dept's is definitely not one of them.

Nov 3, 16 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^My office is ~90 people, 4 designated designers, 2 of which are minorities. As a whole we are probably only 50% White in this office.

Nov 3, 16 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
archeyarch

It can be an advantage to be a 'minority' in that you can represent the firm unlike most others, and thus rise to the occasion and out of the drafting room.  On the other hand, design and management requires far more hours and hard work if done well, and can make production roles seem easy, and even desireable.  

Nov 3, 16 10:40 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

My office is mostly minorities, but then again... not so corporate. 

Nov 3, 16 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Not sure why retail firms with roll out programs attract so many spanish-speaking personnel. Dont see much of that in the more boutique offices. Don't get me wrong: I am not against it; its just an observation. 

Nov 3, 16 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor
Natematt, 90 people with only 4 designers? Do you design costcos and gas stations exclusively?
Nov 3, 16 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
situationist
My boutique firm employs mostly Jewish Mexican refugees from Syria. We try to promote them into leadership positions so they can quickly join the cadre of the shadowy elite.
Nov 4, 16 2:17 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^ The key word there was "designated." We don't have separate design and production staff, so most people do both with varied degrees of responsibility. So it's not just the "designers" who do the design (in reality it's probably more people than should be).

Nov 4, 16 2:28 am  · 
 · 

agree wih you

Nov 4, 16 2:34 am  · 
 · 
s=r*(theta)

Bulgar, if you want to team up I've always been interested architecture/espionage! I have a plethora of spy kowledege gained from extensive bond marathon's, inspector gadget sequels, re-runs of old get smart episodes, any wait for it...... my favorite, encyclopedia brown readings

I was thinking we cud pose as janitors and hangout by the water cooler. no one wud suspect a thing.  wut say you?!?

Nov 4, 16 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Not sure what to make of your sarcasm..

Nov 5, 16 9:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: