Archinect
anchor

Applying to M.Arch 1 at Sci-Arc - Portfolio Questions

martin8smith

Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this awesome site and the helpful community within this forum. As I do not have a background in architecture, I am at a bit of a loss as to what to put in my portfolio when applying to Sci-Arc's M.Arch 1 program. Maybe some of you might be able to help?

Some background: 

• Currently working (recently hired) at a green building consulting firm that specializes in LEED Project Management work
  • Just finished my Masters in Sustainability Solutions program from ASU. Took a green building class but thats pretty much it related to design. 
  • I have been into photography, photoshop, and digital music creation (using mainly the program Ableton) for the past 10 years. The photos I've taken over the years seem like a good fit for the portfolio. I have plenty of music to put on a potential portfolio, with "album art" that I created in photoshop to go along with it. The music is mostly house music and dark electronica though.....not what they're looking for?
  • I have taken Autodesk's Building Performance Analysis course, am currently enrolled in an eQuest course (energy modeling), and am really interested in passive solar design, high performance buildings, biomimcry, biomimetic structures and facades. 

Overall, I have enough digital and film photography, and weird photoshop creations to fill up a portfolio. But, I feel like they are looking for something else as well. And I'm not sure if I should put any music on there. This school seems pretty open-minded, but I'm not sure the realm of dark experimental electronic music is relatable to creative building design haha.

Thanks for any help you may be able to give me! 

--Martin

Oct 11, 16 11:06 pm

of course it is, ambient music is space defining

Oct 11, 16 11:20 pm  · 
 · 

The movie Koyaanisqatsi

Oct 11, 16 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
martin8smith

Thanks z1111, I am going to add some music to my portfolio :). 

Oct 12, 16 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: