Archinect
anchor

skills / qualifications

LEDO

A few general questions for those that are involved with finding & hiring employees:

Would it be advantageous for a potential applicant to have program coding knowledge?   Would it depend on the size of the hiring firm? 

What qualifications / skills, are potential employers looking for these days?

Sep 23, 16 5:38 pm
Non Sequitur

No, don't look at his bullshit CV.

He's delusional beyond all hope.

Sep 23, 16 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

Haha Haha this lunatic still doesn't have a job.

Sep 23, 16 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
poop876

That's the worst resume I've seen harshdjdkehsj and I've see a lot.

Sep 23, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

harshavarakdjfalds do you even know how to draw a simple plan? xD I only see words in your CV/Portfolio >< 

And get rid off that fade in effect on your site pls... I wanted to punch my monitor out of frustration

Sep 23, 16 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
zonker
Increasingly - many firms esp. large firms like Gensler, SOM and HOK are expecting Dynamo knowledge with Python and or C# knowledge - last week I attended the SFDUG (San Francisco Dynamo Users Group) at HOK the upstart is that Dynamo is where Revit was 10 years ago and projects are now of complexity and with decreasing timelines - A new critical mass has occurred and Dynamo along with Grasshopper is the only way to make things work - out of the box Revit has reached the upper limit of its ability
Sep 24, 16 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^ most people can't even use out of the box Revit right though. It make sense for high-level users, but dynamo is major overkill for most people.

Anyway, I think programming knowledge is going to be a plus for most architecture firms, though most everyone puts something on there even if they don't actually know anything useful about it, so if you are going to add it, have some way to back it up with work. 

Sep 24, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

The efficiency in AutoCAD for those that new how to create simple lisps in the 90s/00s was sufficiently better than those that are computer semi-literate, so I'd imagine things have progressed quite a bit in the last 10~20yrs.

Sep 26, 16 11:18 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

This is one of the rare instances where I agree with the post - "if you want to be an architect don't learn revit" (replace revit with dynamo or whatever coding language). Coding/Dynamo/Python/Whatever can be helpful if you can do a few things here an there to expedite workflow, if you go down that road at a certain point, you become a coder, not an architect.  I totally agree with natematt, that most people can't even use revit out of the box, so learning a bunch of coding is useless if you don't even understand the fundamentals of building construction and how to put together a set of construction documents.  

Sep 26, 16 11:36 am  · 
 · 
LEDO

Xenakis, natematt, 3tk, & chigurh, Thank you for your insight!  I work at a small firm where keeping my skills/knowledge/etc. up to the current trends is initiated by me.  Despite this, I have no desire to go anywhere else as there are many good aspects to working here.   Thank you also for acting like adults when replying.  It's very much appreciated!

I will get started on my Dynamo skills and look into the other programs mentioned.

Sep 28, 16 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: