Archinect
anchor

Freelance work not getting paid

JeromeS

ah, wonderful!  Another degree program and education path laid waste to by Bilbo Balkins.  Where is the AMA forum?

Aug 17, 16 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

You didn't answer the question.

You interfered with fact finding. Looking at some of her other posts on other threads even a year or so ago, there is some information that leads me to think she might be in New York state and the project may possibly be in New York state. This is why I chastise you for interfering with fact finding because if she doesn't say where this project is located, it is pretty hard to actually assess if a violation had occurred. By you suggesting to her to keep her mouth shut, you interfered with the fact finding. 

The fact finding could go either way. Either to confirm that she didn't violate laws of the state where the project is designed and planned to be built or it confirms a violation.

I wouldn't report any violation unless enough evidence is pieced together. However, I'm not planning to report any such violation myself as there are plenty here who has that legal duty to. Obviously, knowing the state where she is located isn't enough. There has to be details about the project and her role. Like you said.

What you did is interfere with discovery of facts. 

If she didn't violate any of the licensing laws then obviously there isn't going to be any reporting of violation of the licensing laws. Think about it.

Aug 17, 16 2:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Balkins I've filed a report with your parents - I feel it's my moral obligation to make known the extent of your squandering of their resources and misuse of time.

Aug 17, 16 2:28 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't read all the other responses, but...

I had this happen to me with a ton of money on the line, around 10k. The clients never paid. It hurt both financially and morally. Bad people shouldn't be able to get away with stuff like this, right? 

For me, it wasn't worth the emotional stress that would have been required to fight for the payments. The clients were out of state, and it would have cost a ton more money to hire an attorney. I learned from my mistakes and moved on. I'm now much more selective about clients and always get a retainer up front. I also never let myself get too far ahead of the last invoice, workwise. 

Some lessons you just have to learn the hard way, I guess. 

Aug 17, 16 2:35 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins I've filed a report with your parents - I feel it's my moral obligation to make known the extent of your squandering of their resources and misuse of time.

I would have thought you guys would have been more serious about the licensing of architects and fact finding. Oh well...

Aug 17, 16 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"I would have thought you guys would have been more serious about the licensing of architects and fact finding. Oh well..."

But we certainly are Balchanico. That's why our walls are adorned with academic credentials and professional licenses while your walls serve only to damper the maddening sound of your frustrated keyboard mashing. I, for one, had the inlay custom coloured to match the dark blue ink and the peppered silver mat perfectly echo's my association's seal. Cost more than a average car's monthly payment but damn... what's the point of having an architect's license if you can't be serious about displaying it? Oh wait, how would you know?

What are we talking about here anyways? Seems like a normal hump day around here.

Aug 17, 16 3:56 pm  · 
 · 

Balkins on this thread:

Aug 17, 16 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

If I wanted wall paper, it's a lot cheaper to just buy wall paper from Home Depot.

Now... now, you are alluding to some idea of humping ashley, are you?

Aug 17, 16 4:20 pm  · 
 · 

You really can't be serious with that last comment Rick, can you?

Aug 17, 16 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard, we don't have any obligation to perform "fact finding".  If we become aware of a life safety issue and we have enough facts to report it (such as who did it, where, and what) then in most states we're required to report it.  But we don't have to go out of our way to dig up facts on possible violations by anonymous web posters.  You're claiming that SpontaneousCombustion is somehow hindering justice by impeding an investigation - but who is it that's investigating?  What is there to investigate? For all you know the OP posted a fictional story.

If you expect us all to actively "fact find" and conduct investigations, then you've hindered investigations and obstructed justice every single time you've side-stepped a question on this forum. Examples: I believe your community college and the architect with whom you did your cooperative work experience both committed fraud by passing you on that requirement.  I also believe that architect committed fraud again when he signed off on your IDP eligibility.  I realize that he's dead - but that hasn't stopped investigations and posthumous stripping of licenses in some cases.  So: I'm conducting an investigation into those matters.  I demand that you provide proof of your work for that architect.  I'm also investigating your taxes.  How much did you make last year? 

Aug 17, 16 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You could go buy some wall paper but you'll need an advance on your allowance first.

Also:

In Hindu mythology, Budha is the god of Mercury (planet), mid-week Wednesday, and of Merchants and merchandise. According to the Thai solar calendar, the color associated with Wednesday is green.

In the folk rhyme "Wednesday's child is full of woe", reciting the days of the week, Solomon Grundy was 'Married on Wednesday.' In Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, the disagreeable nature of the weather is attributed to it being "Winds-Day" (a play on "Wednesday"). In Richard Brautigan's In Watermelon Sugar Wednesday is the day when the sun shines grey.[full citation needed] Wednesday Friday Addams is a member of the fictional family The Addams Family. Her name is derived from the idea that Wednesday's child is full of woe. Additionally, Wednesday sometimes appears as a character's name in literary works. These include Thursday's fictions by Richard James Allen and Neil Gaiman's novel American Gods. In the 1945 John Steinbeck novel Sweet Thursday, the titular day is preceded by "Lousy Wednesday".

Wednesday is sometimes informally referred to as "hump day" in North America, a reference to the fact that Wednesday is the middle day—or "hump"—of a typical work week.

Aug 17, 16 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

whatever happened with the OBAE complaint against Balkins?  We certainly had plenty of facts and hard evidence.

Aug 17, 16 4:54 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

You'll be wasting your time. That form the architect signed is null and void. Changes to IDP Eligibility rules made that form effectively null and void and basically is discarded. The only requirement needed to determine IDP eligibility in my case is a high school diploma or equivalent (GED). 

I had already provided sufficient proof of GED via GED Wallet certificate that I had scanned and submitted. The wall certificate with the fancy seal can be scanned, a copy made and sent to them or they can verify that through the college or the Department of Education responsible for recordkeeping of the GED certificates issued and who they were issued to and when. 

I should submit a copy of the wall certificate. At the time I sent it, I was in Eugene and my wall certificate was left in Astoria, Oregon in the records I kept here because I didn't want it disappearing while at the University. 

Aug 17, 16 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

My investigation does not concern your GED or current IDP eligibility.  It concerns the fact that the architect, at the time that he signed your form, did so knowing that he was committing fraud with regard to the rules at that time.  I'm going to have him posthumously stripped of his license.  Now cough up the documents I asked for, or you're hindering justice.

Aug 17, 16 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So, you didn't graduate highschool either Ricky? Can you finish anything?

Aug 17, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

Wednesday is sometimes informally referred to as "hump day" in North America, a reference to the fact that Wednesday is the middle day—or "hump"—of a typical work week.

I was messing with you on that. Pointing out a little danger of using words that have some fairly popular connotations associated with it that you should be more careful about using in these days as your reference sources are quite archaic in the social culture of today.

Aug 17, 16 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Aug 17, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

N.S.,

I have received a GED. From a legal point of view, I have completed high school level. I was homeschooled during that time because that was my Dad's decision because he got into an argument with the principal at the Middle school (the principal at the time). 

Since the GED, I had received an Associates degree in Microcomputer Programming and Networking, a certificate in Computer Aided Design and Drafting, a few courses from completing a second Associates degree in Historic Preservation and Restoration. 

I have less than a year's worth (less than 45 credits) to complete a Bachelor's degree in Geography and a minor in Historic Preservation.

It's mostly money. The biggest issue is that the college is not near me in Astoria, Oregon. I was only in Eugene during the Fall, Winter and Spring terms. I have to have different financial arrangements set up to go through the remaining year to complete a Bachelors degree. Once that is complete, I would have some financial aid (loans) options available.

Completing the 2nd Associates degree is fairly easy. It's just paying for the tuition and whatever other costs there are.

Aug 17, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

rwcb, let's see those documents bloopbox is asking for.  why are you obstructing the fact finding/evidence gathering process?  you want to be an accessory to fraud?  that could signal another OBAE complaint against you in the mean time.  i guess i should contact the clatsop county da to get a court order to release those documents.  i should also file a complaint with ncarb regarding that architect.  

you're really digging yourself into a deeper grave with this, as usual.  pun intended.  

Aug 17, 16 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

no_form,

I won't release things like tax forms and other such documents with personal information that can be used in identity theft to a person I do not know who isn't clearly and verified to work for the appropriate government entity and have legal requirements governing the treatment and use of the information provided to them.

You should remember I was in an independent contractor relationship with the architect which was less than $100. Since my total taxes that year didn't require me to file and the amount also was below requirement of a 1099-MISC form to be filed so the paperwork would be insignificant. Still, I was technically paid.

When I filed the paperwork for IDP record, independent contractor relationship does count for IDP. Since it was so old, I would still get 0 IDP hours. 

There is no minimum wage laws that applies to independent contractor relationship.

Aug 17, 16 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

was your total annual income as an independent contractor under $600 for that year?  if not, you need to report it.  you're in trouble now.  uh oh balky

Aug 17, 16 7:05 pm  · 
 · 

:-|

Aug 17, 16 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

All you have to do is redact your personal info (use a black sharpie, or delete it in the pdfs, or whatever). I didn't say anything about the year way-back-when with the fake co-op.   I want to see the past 7 years' taxes - 2009 through 2015.  Stop hindering my investigation.

Aug 17, 16 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

I won't release things... with personal information... to a person I do not know who isn't clearly and verified to work for the appropriate government entity and have legal requirements governing the treatment and use of the information provided to them.

So why is that ok for you to withhold that information, but not ok for me to suggest to ashleyelizabeth that she withhold the same type of information regarding her identity and location from this same forum?  Double standard much?

Aug 17, 16 9:56 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty,

So why is that ok for you to withhold that information, but not ok for me to suggest to ashleyelizabeth that she withhold the same type of information regarding her identity and location from this same forum?  Double standard much?

I'm not requesting information or documentation containing a person's social security number. Rule number one, NEVER EVER give out social security number to an untrusted person especially one you do not know the identity of. All a person needs to commit identity theft is your name, address, applicable phone numbers  and your social security number and maybe a password which can be hacked. 

I am in MY right to withhold dissemination of documents that may contain specific information such as social security and other private information. 

At most, I'm interested in the project location and maybe her name not her tax records with her social security number and things like that. I'm not interested in reporting her for violation of the architect law. As for others, I'd be leaving that to others if she indeed violated the licensing laws.

Obviously, she has the right to refuse disclosing her name, of course. As a citizen, I am limited to about the extent of an investigative reporter for the media which are citizens with basically the same privileges as the rest of us non-law enforcement employees. Law enforcement does have additional privileges. 

She can refuse to provide information to me and you and any one else on her free will without necessarily it being obstruction of justice if the information requested contains confidential / personal information especially if the requester is going by a false identity such as an alias on a web forum. 

If you want certain confidential & personal information from me, you need to disclose who you are and address information so if you misuse or otherwise use that information for nefarious unlawful purposes, I have a real person's name and their address that I can forward to my attorney to file a lawsuit and appropriate legal authorities to arrest you.

Aug 17, 16 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Are you happy with your life, Balkins? Are you happy with what you've accomplished or lied about accomplishing? I'm very curious.
Aug 17, 16 11:31 pm  · 
 · 

Sponty:

Why is it not okay for you to with hold the same kind of information? 

You are not an attorney, Sponty. You are not her authorized legal counsel. 

More important, they are not the same information being requested. They are not apples to apples. Bloopox requested documentation that contains information I am not requesting.

The information I request is:

- Project location

and at most.... the name of the OP

- first name & last name 

Bloopox requested:

Tax information which contains:

My name (which you can find easily)

My location (easily discoverable and publically disclosed)

My social security number: Private and Confidential information

Taxes: Private and confidential information that is not authorized for public disclosure.

etc.

As for project locations: At least one of them is already publically disclosed. The others are generally not disclosed for they do not require to be disclosed beyond what city and state. 

Obviously, there is substantively different set of information including confidential/private information that should not be disclosed on the internet or anyone whom I do not know who they are. 

Aug 18, 16 12:06 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Are you happy with your life, Balkins? Are you happy with what you've accomplished or lied about accomplishing? I'm very curious.

+1

Aug 18, 16 2:38 am  · 
 · 
greatescape

How come we cannot ban folks on here? Are there any moderators here?

Aug 18, 16 2:50 am  · 
 · 

Repeating this from above ... seems like Balkins might not have seen it earlier:

"All you have to do is redact your personal info (use a black sharpie, or delete it in the pdfs, or whatever)."

Aug 18, 16 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Guys, 

My tax records are NOYB. Anything with regards to taxes is between me and IRS and any persons that I authorize access to that information such lawyers, accountants or tax consultant. I don't give out this information to strangers.

Aug 18, 16 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Why exactly did you expect ashleyelizabeth to give it out then?

Aug 18, 16 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

In such investigative reporting, you try to get information but keeping them talking and disclosing information. 

In which case, its a gamble. However, when an asshole tells her to keep quiet, kind of defeats the purpose.

Aug 18, 16 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Are you also an investigative reporter now?

Aug 18, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 

Bench,

Everyone is their own media. One of those Constitutional Bill of Rights thing.

Aug 18, 16 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

"you try to get information but [sic] keeping them talking and disclosing information [...] when an asshole tells her to keep quiet, kind of defeats the purpose."

The purpose is not always defeated.

I can think of at least one example where someone (let's call him Ricardo to protect the innocent) was goaded into talking. Even when assholes (let's call them forum users) told Ricardo to keep quiet, Ricardo just kept on talking and digging himself into a deeper and deeper hole.

Moral of the story, don't be like Ricardo.

Aug 18, 16 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Where does the first amendment say everyone is their own media? And, what does that have to do with investigative reporting?

Aug 18, 16 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

E_I,

Point given and taken as a possibility.

Aug 18, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Media as in casual use is essentially a synonym for "the press" which each and every single one of us are the press or media at large. There are certain larger 'commercialized' media but there is all of us including this very forum and site or any blog or other expressions of opinions in any medium or venue.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Hmmm.... think about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_the_press_in_the_United_States

- This is one case where the Wikipedia article is of substantive quality with cited references which one may refer to for further reading. 

Bartnicki v. Vopper - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bartnicki_v._Vopper

First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_National_Bank_of_Boston_v._Bellotti

Obsidian Finance Group, LLC v. Cox ----- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Finance_Group,_LLC_v._Cox

Aug 18, 16 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: