Archinect
anchor

M.Arch enrollment

Ceri

Hello,

I've graduated from NEIT, with a B.Sc in Architectural Building Engineering Technology, and was wondering if this degree is sufficient enough to enroll into a Master of Architecture, preferably with Advance Standing since my major was based on mainly architectural design.

Thank you 

Aug 8, 16 4:59 pm

Assuming you otherwise meet the admissions criteria, your undergrad degree should be fine. Advanced standing will depend on the particular program you get accepted to. This is something you should ask each of them during open house.

Aug 8, 16 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ceri

Thank you David and Ella

Aug 9, 16 10:00 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

It truly will depend on the institution to which you apply.  I am guessing NO since you do not describe it as a preprofessional degree.  How much design did you take? How much structures / technology did you take?

I would suggest you contact a few different graduate programs and provide your transcript or curriculum.

Best

Aug 13, 16 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

Of course Dr. Architecture is the expert on this subject (providing you are who I think you are), but in my experience you won't get advance standing. I took a similar track but transferred into an architecture program from an architectural engineering program. They didn't take any of my structures classes or anything like that because it "was a construction program, not design". So first couple years I got some really easy As. For example, first year materials and methods class I was barred from answering any questions 2 days into the course. It was out of the professor's hands as far as getting me out of the course, but I made sure to learn what I could from it anyway and enjoyed a 15 minute final that took the rest of the class 2 hours.

Aug 13, 16 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

In some programs "advanced standing" doesn't take any fewer years, because all it means is that you get to waive some or all of the first-year core courses and jump into second year - but you still have to accumulate the same number of credits, so you just end up with more electives.  

As for sufficient to get in: yes of course.  Most first-professional M.Arch programs accept about equal numbers of people with undergrad architecture majors, people with related majors (like yours), and people with no architecture background at all (like biology, English, and business majors).  

Aug 13, 16 7:55 pm  · 
 · 
Ceri

Thanks for the info,

Dr. Architecture ; I took  6 design studios and a senior thesis design which I got the highest mark in the schools history also I took about  5  structure classes. 

I listed the courses below.

• ABT 111 Introduction to Building Science
  • ABT 112 Technical Drafting and Graphic Communications
  • ABT 114 Introduction to Computer-Aided Drafting (CAD)
  • ABT 115 Introduction to Structures
  • ABT 122 Two- and Three-Dimensional Design Theory
  • ABT 124 Construction Methods & Materials
  • ABT 125 Building Design & Technology I
  • ABT 126 Presentation Techniques
  • ABT 127 Introduction to Construction Estimating
  • ABT 135 Building Design & Technology II
  • ABT 137 Introduction to Environmental Systems
  • ABT 138 Surveying & Civil Technology
  • ABT 218 Building Information Modeling I (BIM I)
  • ABT 221 Visualization Studies I
  • ABT 225 Building Design & Technology III
  • ABT 235 Building Design & Technology IV
  • ABT 236 Building Codes
  • ABT 314 Construction Contracts & Specifications
  • ABT 315 Structural Wood Design
  • ABT 324 Masonry Construction & Detailing
  • ABT 325 Soil Mechanics & Foundation Design
  • ABT 328 Structural Steel Design
  • ABT 330 Visualization Studies II
  • ABT 331 Advanced Environmental Systems
  • ABT 334 Site Engineering & Planning
  • ABT 337 Building Information Modeling II (BIM II)
  • ABT 338 Reinforced Concrete Design
  • ABT 410 Building Design & Technology V (Low Rise)
  • ABT 412 Sustainability In Construction
  • ABT 416 Portfolio Development
  • ABT 420 Building Design & Technology VI (High Rise)
  • ABT 421 Acoustics & Lighting
  • ABT 426 Senior Thesis Proposal & Research
  • ABT 430 Senior Thesis
  • ABT 433 Construction Law
  • HI 235 Architectural History (SS Core)
  • ID 212 Programming
  • MCT 215 Statics
  • MCT 224 Mechanics of Materials
  • MGM 340 Engineering Finance
Aug 24, 16 4:03 pm  · 
 · 

Try challenges for the WORLD regional planning,  Resorts, landscapes, global investments, and  opportunities.

AIU.edu offer full online which major in MASTER  Graduate degree in Architecture.

YOU DO IT yourself, your plans, and apply into it.  Try different methodology toward architectural ramifications by 3-D imaging to real world building projects by modeling to concepts. 

Aug 24, 16 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

In most first-professional M.Arch programs that list will give you a good chance at getting several first-year core courses waived (some structures, materials, architecture history, possibly some drawing/visualization), so you'll be able to take more electives - but most likely will not get you advanced standing.  Generally to get advanced standing you need to come from a strong studio architecture program - i.e. you'd have at least 6 to 8 semesters of architecture studios (varying from 5 to 9 credits each at most schools). 

Aug 24, 16 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

Ceri - Thanks for sharing your coursework, but you need to share them with the graduate programs to which you are planning to apply.  They will be best to determine what advanced standing, if any, you would receive.

Sep 9, 16 10:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: