Archinect
anchor

How has LEGO influenced Modern Architecture? - Can you Help?

emma_h

Hi Guys,

Please could you Help!!

I'd like to reach out to your expertise if I can, as I am in the process of carrying out a research project as part of 6th Form. My research question is 'To what extent has LEGO influenced Modern Architecture?' - I will look into:

How has LEGO influenced the architects?
How has it helped to teach architecture and its principles?
Its influence on the development of construction methods
The influence on design within Modern Architecture
How can it be used as a material its self or as inspiration for new materials?

As a fairly uncommon kind of question, I am finding that the information out in the big wide world is a little hazy. This is a topic which I am really interested in as I wish to pursue a career in Architecture and Urban Planning. I have already purchased the book 'The LEGO Architect' however I will own up now, I was brought up with LEGO and I do personally believe that I have been influenced by the toy already!

So now I am interested in how others have been influenced by this or how Architecture can thank LEGO in any way! 
I would like to ask you all if you can rack your brains and help me out with my research.

The more people who can respond to this the better as it will allow me to develop a clearer picture of the relation between our childhood and our careers ahead of us as well as what is happening in the industry or indeed what has already gone as a result of LEGO and its concepts.

If you can think of any ideas and ways in which you could point me in a direction to answer the above research questions I would be massively grateful and in return I will keep you all updated with any further ideas I may come up with in the meantime. 

Many Thanks in the meantime and I hope to hear from some of you soon

Regards Emma

Jun 29, 16 6:54 pm
curtkram

the unfortunate truth is that lego does not influence architecture or construction methods.  don't let that get you down though.  you need to focus on the postrationalization.  of course it's great to have legos since they are a medium to express creativity and probably help children develop their imaginations.

fill your paper with as much bullshit as you can, then use lots of big glossy pictures and well placed white space.  i think this will be a very successful project for you.

Jun 29, 16 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

While not “Lego” the concept of the toy “Tinker Toy” was applied in modular, pre-cast concrete components at the Kresge-Ford Building on the campus of College of Creative Studies in Detroit (AIA Honor Award), following the Japanese Metabolism movement (before sustainable was cool) so to enable the building components to be taken apart, rearranged or added to as needed….but never was.

Jun 29, 16 11:57 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sorry... Not a believer.  Modern lego sets are about following a set of graphical instructions to fabricate the model.  It is not about creation anymore; you are building whatever the picture is on the box.  It's about as influential as buying something from IKEA might be.  

I'd argue architecture and construction, particularly masonry, influenced lego.  Basically, lego is influenced by a ton of things now (particularly movies).   Put it this way, lego has Ninjago (a ninja world).  Would you ask ninja's how lego has influenced them?  

Jun 30, 16 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

Google Bjarke Ingels and see how he ran away with the concept ;)

Jun 30, 16 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

real bricks predate legos by 10000 years or so and have more flexibility in construction. there is no comparison.

Jun 30, 16 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
emma_h

Many thanks to you all for your recent replies to my post! 

I am very interested to hear the rather mixed views as even these can give me some answers towards my questions. I must say the links and starting points you have provided are serving me well and I am already looking to use these in my research so a big thank for those! 

I will keep burying away at these research points with your help, therefore please do keep your comments coming as they are actually helping me along my way to answering this. 

Thanks again everyone...

Jul 1, 16 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: