Archinect
anchor

Criteria for M.Arch admission?

thinslice

I'm switching careers (late 20s) from a non-architecture background. Counselors at two schools (GT and UT-Austin) told me that the portfolio is much more important than GRE and even grades, but also said that portfolios of non-architects are given some slack. So what gives? How do I objectively evaluate myself and know which schools I have a chance at admission?

Jun 12, 16 10:12 pm
Non Sequitur

Why are you switching to architecture?

Jun 12, 16 10:20 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

How many of these threads pop up on archinect a week? If I could only get a dollar for each one, I'd probably be able to pay my student loans off in a decade.

Jun 12, 16 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
thinslice

- NS, I've been doing physical design-related work, enjoy it, and want to get better. 

- DT, link?

Jun 13, 16 12:22 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

go do a summer internship at an architecture firm, then see if you still want to be in this profession. xD

Jun 13, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
thinslice

Thanks, that's something I'm considering, but not what I was looking for in this thread. Do you have any advice on how to zero in on target schools?

Jun 13, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
monosierra

Post your work or current portfolio here. Everyone I know who came from a non-design background had a collection of creative work, from art to music,  to showcase their (unique) thinking and basic aesthetic judgement.

And yes, do work first before deciding to apply. Professional architectural practice is vastly different from design school - it could get very tedious.

Jun 13, 16 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

I think it is almost more important to look at financially viable schools, see their student work and mission, and if it is a good fit then apply there. It's tough to know what those couple people who will be passing on your portfolio or not are going to be looking for on any certain day. 

In terms of work, if the school takes a more traditional approach to architecture study then shape your portfolio to that (not quite sure what that is totally), but if it is a more digital manufacturing approach to arch, then maybe focus on your physical design work more so. 

At the end of the day the best you can do is revise your portfolio as much as you can, your personal statement matters too I believe, and then apply! It is just a school, whats more important is what YOU do in the school. 

Jun 16, 16 11:22 am  · 
 · 
cosmo482

My advice is not to do it.  The 4+3.5-year program (which I assume is the one you are doing) is way too long of an investment with little reward.  8-years for a master's degree, same debt as a doctor or lawyer, but with about 1/3 of the salary and no "doctor" title.

Jun 20, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: