Archinect
anchor

How is the architecture market in New York at the moment?

Hi Everyone!

I am a french architect hired in an international firm in Paris and I have 6 years post graduate experience working mainly on commercial/ retail projects. I am keen to move to US and New York would be my first choice but I would like to have first your overview regarding the architecture market in NY at the moment. Is it easy to find a job as architect in NY at the moment? Do you have good recruitment agencies that you could recommend me? Thanks in advance for your tips!

May 24, 16 10:36 am
Archinect

archibaldfrance - it's safe to say that this is one of the easiest times to find a job in New York in years. Look at Archinect's job board - there are almost 600 active job ads in New York alone. 

Many firms are unable or unwilling to sponsor a visa, if you're not a US resident, so it's advisable that you start that process on your own, if you can. 

The feedback we're receiving from firms is that it's really difficult to find good talent these days. Unemployment rates are really low for architects right now, so firms are seeing far fewer applicants fighting for available positions than in previous years. If you're good, and you put in a strong effort into your application and job search, your chances of landing a job in architecture are better than ever. 

May 24, 16 10:42 am  · 
 · 
no_form
I'm not sure we are at the point that h-1b visas are going to be sponsored when there are plenty of people already here who need jobs. Maybe the big name offices will have the budgets and need.

One of my colleagues is being sponsored but is responsible for all the legal fees. It's over $2000. Make sure you have that in your back pocket if needed.
May 24, 16 11:45 am  · 
 · 
sandraArchi_Pop

Such a good news!! In France the market is really tough in architecture so US would be a great option for many talented french architects. I will look at the visa process to sponsor myself and will try to approach international studios. Hopefully I will be able to come soon!

In the meantime if you have recruitment agencies to recommend me please let me know! Thanks again and speak soon!

May 25, 16 10:02 am  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I would apply directly to firms that are advertising openings.  Going through an agency is not necessary.

May 25, 16 10:54 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

I've heard firms in the US are preferring those with international experience over local undergrads. Is this true? 

Also, @sandraArchi_Pop, I'm trying to find work in Paris. Is it that bad? Even interior architecture? 

May 25, 16 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Not true at all.

Local candidates are always preferred.

May 25, 16 3:58 pm  · 
 · 
RTVSkaarchitecture

LA is the frontier

May 27, 16 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: