Archinect
anchor

UofT undergrad vs Waterloo Undergrad architecture, which is better?

favour1998

I just got accepted to these two programs, I have always wanted to go to U of T, however, I have not heard good things about their architecture undergrad program. I would like to go to waterloo, but i keep hearing that it's so hard and competitive, plus the location is very ugly and boring, which is mainly what is throwing me off.

May 1, 16 11:34 am
Non Sequitur
UToronto is not an architecture undergrad degree while Waterloo is the top school in Canada. This should not be a difficult decision.
May 1, 16 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
aws123

Waterloo as a university for architecture is better than UofT in that it provides co-op for its students. Apart from that, architecture since its profession has always branched into two. The first is the theory, history and arts of architecture and the other is the technical aspect of architecture. UofT is more about the theory while waterloo excels at the technical. How the UofT program functions is that the undergrad level focuses on teaching it's students the theory of architecture, it's history and critisicm, but it also has a major dedicated to design. This allows students to explore their ideas and find their own style before learning or the technical stuff which will be mostly in the masters level. But that doesn't mean you don't learn anything technical courses at undergrad level as some courses are essential like representation, design studio and the technology in arch.

If you want to find a job with ease and no worries, choose Waterloo, but if you love theory and arts and all, choose UofT and you can still find a job as an intern like many undergrads at UofT.

May 3, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Strange... I taught drawing and visual communication as well as several design studios at Waterloo a while back. It's true that they focus on the technical aspect of the profession more than any other school in Canada but they are still super heavy on the history. The reason why they graduate more qualified students is that they force their students to design and produce imaginative work that can still be relevant to the real world. Anyone can glue cardboard edges on a whim or extrude sexy curves c/w bad designy poetry, but it takes true design skill to back it up with real details.

If you love art, go to OCAD.

May 3, 16 10:38 am  · 
 · 
420g

stay away from UofT undergrad its not a real bachelor degree in architecture its just a BA with major in architecture not recognized as "pre-professional" degree in architecture. meaning you will only be able to apply for master's degrees with 3years+, only some schools have this option, most schools have 2 year M.arch which requires "pre-professional" degree in architecture which UofT does not offer

May 8, 16 11:53 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: