Archinect
anchor

What school should I go to?

jessyok

I am currently a senior in high school and I'm pursuing a career in architecture in a near future. I'm still not sure what school should I go to though. I live in Puerto Rico and I'm between two schools right now. Both programs are really different, I'm going to try to explain them.

The first one is UPR-RP. It's the public system and considered the best university in the island. The school of architecture there offers a 4+2 program. So 4 years in a b in enviromental design and then a m in architecture. It's one of the cheapest schools bc of being in a public campus. And i believe #54 arch school in America.

The other one is the PUCPR. The school is only 9 years old. And it was recently accredited by the naab with a really good score. I think 30/32 and 7 or 8 of them excelent... The program in this school also includes a minor in one of these: architectural representation, history and theory, adaptive conservation and preservation, sustainability and technology, structural framework and assemblanges, landscape ecology and enviroment, urban spaces and community, legal and administrative awareness or development assesment...

So keeping this in mind.. The first school is actually cheaper with that extra year and the second one is a lot more expensive. But is a masters worth it? Is there any difference between a m or a b in architecture? I'm really new to this and I do a lot of research but I still can't make the right decission.

I decided to give as much details as possible to see if anyone can give their opinions based on that. I'd be really grateful if someone could help. Thanks.

Apr 27, 16 12:47 pm
shellarchitect

the key question to me is do you want to stay in puerto rico? Now is a good time to leave if that's one of your goals.  Really i think that leaving is a good idea anyway, to expand your mind and and the other good stuff that happens between classes.

Coming from a territory are you able to get in state tuition nearby?

No real difference between the M.Arch or B. Arch, so long as they are accredited by NAAB.  I also think it's important to consider the other programs available at whichever university you chose because there is a good chance that you'll decide to switch majors.  My class started with 90ish and only 15 graduated. 

Apr 27, 16 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
lacalr

The first school you mentioned sounds like a more well rounded approach to an arch education. It would also give you the opportunity to explore other options if need be, or go through your undergraduate and then look elsewhere for a masters. Being a total outside opinion and not knowing anything else about you or your circumstances, or the schools for that sake, I would go with UPR-RP, seems like a better experience. I also come with a bias for large well known public schools, having gone to one myself. 

Best of luck! Which ever one you go with, go with an open mind.

Apr 27, 16 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Graduating without enormous debt is a great benefit. As lacalr said, if you can get the 4-year degree from a very inexpensive program, then you will have a lot more experience and knowledge on which to base the decision to either pursue a MArch locally or elsewhere.

I always encourage students to go somewhere new to them for a master's degree, as the travel is as much of an education as the degree is. If you can do that while remaining relatively low in debt due to undergrad, all the better.

Good luck!

Apr 27, 16 2:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: