Archinect
anchor

Traditional architectural drawings

curtkram

if i were to lay down on a 180 cm tatami mat, my feet would hang off the end.

if i were in canada, i would still want my plywood to be 4'x8'.

surely "human" can apply to other units of measurement?  then again, perhaps not if your unit of measurement is based on the size of the king's thumb.  or someone's thumb.  i don't know who's thumb it is.

Apr 21, 16 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Plywood is still in 4'x8' modules, we just refer to it as 1219mm x 2438mm sheets.

Apr 21, 16 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wood guy, thx! ...just wondered what your perspective was on it

i'm one of the tall freaks so it wasn't an obvious relationship to me

i kinda figured it might spark some reactions

Apr 21, 16 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Ha, you were right! The metric system works great for science and for literal thinkers, and there are good reasons for standardizing building material sizes. 

That said, I've found it really handy to know how to measure things in other ways. I'm exactly 6' tall, my thumb is exactly 1" wide, my pinkie is 1/2" thick, my hand span is just a hair over 8", my pace is 5'. Other people's measurements will vary, of course, 

There's a special unit of measurement used only at MIT, called the Smitty. It's the height of a former student, and they measured the nearby bridge by laying him out end over end. I forget how many Smitties long the bridge is, but the concept stuck with me. 

As humans, we can't really conceive of the scale of the universe, or even what it's like to be the size of an elephant. We can, however, more readily identify with things that look like us or that have a scale and proportion that is closer to what we are familiar with. 

As a tall person, you might have a similar experience to other very tall people I know, that they feel regarded as different from other people. It's intimidating to stand next to a very large person. It's also subtly intimidating to stand next to a large building or building component. 

Apr 21, 16 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Wood Guy,

yes. A 'voxel' is a 3d 'pixel'  of sort... kinda. It's like simulating grains of sand or something. The size of the voxel unit effects granularity of the virtual space. It's also computer memory intensive. 

I haven't played Minecraft itself so much but I am aware of its use of voxel systems. It can be additive or subtractive. In a way, its like legos or building blocks. If you link a chain of voxels in 3-dimensions to work as a unit, you essentially have a virtual building component so to speak.

(The above is response to Wood Guy on voxel. There is obviously more to the subject of voxels than what I said.)

Apr 21, 16 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram, 

You typically sleep in fetal position of the mat or even beds. Even 74" bed long bed, my feet would hang off the end if I pillows propped up where as on a Tatami mat, you may have a small footprint but fairly thick pillow or something to keep your head and next straight. 

Apr 21, 16 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Your foot should have to be exactly a foot long in order to be an architect. 

Apr 21, 16 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

^ Is that not part of the ARE!?

Apr 21, 16 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

or even what it's like to be the size of an elephant.

well no, not if you're only 6. . ..

rick, do you really presume to know how i sleep?  do you have any idea how fucked up that is?

Apr 21, 16 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram, 

Ok okay. It wasn't meant to be that way. It was meant to be that is how beds were designed normally. Of course, we have bigger and longer beds with 80" long twins beds for example. That's of course designed suitable for taller people.

Apr 21, 16 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
You don't know shit Balkins. I sleep sitting upright like a Puritan. God's going to smite your lazy ass.
Apr 21, 16 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

yet you have the mouth of a sailor.

Apr 21, 16 11:40 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Yarrrr maytee!
Apr 22, 16 8:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: