Archinect
anchor

What should I major in first?

breruiz

I would like to know whats the best way to start my career and which schools have a great program that you'll be able to lean more than other schools?

I would love to do interior design, architecture and real estate. I'm considering UT Austin, Texas A&M and Texas State. Still cant decide which is a good school for the majors i want to pursue in.

I love designing the inside of a house or building choosing what kind of paint or furniture is needed. I would love to design the structure of houses and/or buildings, but i would also love to buy houses that aren't selling and remodeling them and selling them that's why I want the real estate major as well.

Is it necessary for me to get a bachelors in real estate or an associates degree good enough? 

Is there anything else that i might be missing that i might need in order to pursue this dream job of mine?? 

do i need to know about business management also?

Hope you can help me out :) 

Brenda

Apr 6, 16 10:38 am
Non Sequitur

Isn't real estate just a weekend course at your nearest suburban mall?

Go to an accredited architecture program and you'll have the opportunity to focus on all of what you list. Also, you don't need any training to pick colours and furniture.

Apr 6, 16 11:15 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

it would be easier to get a business degree, maybe an mba, and the go into real estate or interior design or whatever.

Apr 6, 16 11:30 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Structural engineering or computer science

Apr 6, 16 11:44 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Artificial Intelligence path way within Computer science for the best.

Apr 6, 16 11:56 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Something easy so you can make a lot of friends.

Unless you are just into being a fucking CAD drone.

Apr 6, 16 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Definitely don't use that email on a resume. That's OkCupid worthy.
Apr 6, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Definitely don't use that email on a resume. That's OkCupid worthy.
Apr 6, 16 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
lenavera

I'm currently an architecture student at UT Austin, and if you are serious about architecture or interior design, you should definitely come here (over A&M or Texas State). Our program is tough but you will learn a lot. Yes, architecture school can be exhausting, but if you are going to go through it, do it at a school that you will learn the most from. I feel that I have grown a lot over my 4 years here, and have had no problems finding summer internships every summer I've been here. I am also interested in business, and am planning on pursuing an MBA within the next 5 years. Architecture is a unique and prestigious undergraduate degree to have, especially from UT. You can do the Business Foundations Program here or do the Real Estate program with your Arch degree to see if those are something you are interested in, and then go forward with a graduate degree if you choose to do so. An MBA with B.Arch from UT will be worth more than any of your other options. 

Apr 6, 16 7:07 pm  · 
1  · 
breruiz

Thank you to everyone who answered :) 

& no im not going to use the email that is showing.

@lenavera thank you for your help i will take consideration into getting in the architecture and interior design program there. i just have a quick question is there any study abroad programs that could benefit me for the majors i want to pursue? 

thanks

Apr 6, 16 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Anything but architecture!

Apr 6, 16 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

Having the 5 year B.Arch degree is more than enough for you to accomplish everything else on your bucket list.  But you can always try and swing a double major or a minor is interior design. DO NOT let them con you into a 4 year plan and 2-3 year Masters.  Just wasting 1-2 years of your life and an extra $100k you probably do not have.

Cant help with which school though.

Apr 7, 16 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
Michael Adams

Computer science would be my choice.

Apr 7, 16 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
breruiz

is it really worth getting a bachelors or a masters or even a doctorate? i mean do you get more income if its higher or there's not much of a difference?

can you double major in architecture and interior design at the same time???

thanks again :)

Apr 7, 16 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You don't need an int-des major if you take a Master's in architecture.... also, income is linked to your billable skills, not the amount of degrees you've paid for.

Kids these days, amiright folks?

Apr 7, 16 11:08 pm  · 
 · 
lenavera

At UT there is a really great study abroad program, it is 3 months and you spend 5 weeks traveling (we went to 3 cities in Switzerland, 1 in Austria, and like 15 in Italy) and 2 months in Paris. It was such an amazing program, I definitely think it is the best study abroad program I've ever heard of. 

Apr 13, 16 9:06 pm  · 
1  · 
archeyarch

you don't need to go to school for that.

Apr 15, 16 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

You sound like me when I was entering college... I was all over the map.

You could get a 2 year degree in interior design, go out into the world and work for interior designers, save up your money and invest in real estate and hire architects to do your plans for your projects. You could also do a 4 year program too, but I don't think that is necessary, you would need to speak to some interior designers about this. It wouldn't be hard to start your own interior design company.

If you love architecture and want to be an architect, you have to go to an accredited program and then do 3 years of internship and take exams to be a licensed architect. You would have the ability to affect the interior design as well(depending upon the size of the firm you join) and then would be working on projects with real estate developers(who will be your clients).

If you want to be a real estate developer, you could get the business degree(focus in real estate), then get a job working for a real estate development company and work your way over to the Development/Construction division of that company, where you will get to influence the design of the building. If you want to stand out, you could do an MBA or MRED(Masters in Real Estate Development) after graduating with an undergrad in business. You would skip Interior Design and Architecture all together with this path but would get to manage the look and feel of the building in a Development Coordinator/Development Manager/VP of Development position. 

Go to a school where you can have fun and looks good on paper. Pay attention to starting salaries for each path. Weigh the cost of tuition and if mom/dad are forking out the dough for school with what you will be making. In the end, it is important to do what makes you happy. 

If you aren't big on school, choose the path with the least amount of schooling...

Architecture school is a very big commitment. You definitely will no be partying a lot if you are an architecture major. You will be drawing a lot in the beginning and will be taking a combo of math, engineering(structures) and physics courses. You will also need to become familiar with/ strong at using design software on the computer.

If you choose business, you should be prepared/ok with lots of Calculus and Accounting courses and be ok with lots of math.

Here's a tip: if you choose to enter college and still don't know what you are going to do and do general education courses in the beginning with the expectation to switch into a major after, you will likely graduate a lot later then if you chose right away. Architecture is not a major that you want to switch into later but rather something you want to start right away because the Studio classes are taken in sequence.

I would see if you can call around to Interior Design Companies, Real Estate Developers, and Architecture firms and take someone from each company out to coffee for an informational interview. Talk to them about what their standard life is like every day and get a feel for the path that they chose.

Apr 16, 16 6:07 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: