Archinect
anchor

Conflicted Undergraduate options

I'd imagine these sorts of posts get pretty annoying, so I'll really try and keep this brief. 

I am entering into undergrad next year and I've finished hearing back from all my schools, and of the schools, the 2 I've narrowed it down to is NYU and Pratt.

The choice is between a 4 year BA + 2 year M. Arch, or a 5 year B. Arch. I understand for most people Pratt would be a no-brainer seeing as it's in the top 10 best B. Arch programs in the country, but NYU has been my dream school for years, before I was even sure I wanted to pursue architecture. The facilities are amazing, and there's just something so awesome about the campus and atmosphere, it feels like home. NYU offers a 4 years BA in Urban Design and Architecture Studies. Basically, from NYU I'd be leaving with more of an Art history degree more than anything, and then I'd have to get into an M. Arch program. Some of the history is definitely interesting and important, but there's not studio aspect to the degree at all. On the other hand, Pratt has some amazing studio spaces and as I said, a great B. Arch program that would allow me to practice right off the bat.

In short, for NYU I love the school and location but I'd have to deal with an art history curriculum and core classes with no studio courses until my M. Arch. Pratt is still in NYC but Brooklyn and Manhattan are much different places, and the dorms and non-architecture facilities in Pratt do not begin to compare to NYU's. 

I know this is a subjective discussion but I'm truly conflicted, any and all input helps. Is NYU worth passing up on Pratt?

Apr 5, 16 7:37 pm
SneakyPete

Are you 100% set on on Architecture (Licensed)?

If so, you'd be silly to go into more debt for the MArch.

If not, sounds like NYU would be a better option.

Apr 5, 16 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
Annieebanana

Debt is clearly not on the table for you since you didn't mention that, so I would focus on whether architecture is truly what you want. If you're interested in an intensive architecture education then pratts probably the place. But at NYU you can probably play with options a little more in terms of degrees and majors. 

Always go with your gut though. It's your happiness that's on the line :]

Apr 5, 16 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Whether it's on the table or not, it's still silly.

Apr 5, 16 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
zallesda

Debt is not much of an issue. I'm pretty sure architecture is what I want to pursue. The only reason I'd be going to NYU is for the amazing campus and the ability to call it my alma mater because of the prestige and name recognition. Is Pratt highly respected in the world of architecture?  

Apr 5, 16 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
zallesda

I mainly just wanted to know if a degree that is so heavily emphasizing Architectural history rather than any study experience would even be able to prepare me adequately for a M. Arch in a competitive school. Also if Pratt's quality of program is worth passing up NYU's awesome campus and reputation. 

Apr 5, 16 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

The one thing I can say about the 4 + 2 track is it gives you a chance to change course and get more than one perspective, a B arch program in a smallish program will limit your exposure to other design and professional ideas. that being said both schools are in a wonderful city and extracurricular opportunities and academic opportunities outside of your program at both schools should be excellent.

Congratulations on having two good choices

Peter N

Apr 5, 16 11:25 pm  · 
 · 

Hi Zallesda,

Here's two cents from someone with a 5 year B.Arch and 3 years of professional experience.

To answer your latest question, I think NYU's reputation will not matter in the architectural field, while Pratt's will. But NYU will be more broadly known outside architecture. Pratt generally has a great reputation within architecture, but in my experience Master's degrees generally get more respect than undergraduate degrees. An M.Arch also allows you to teach while a B.Arch won't get you very far on that front. Of course you can always add an M.Arch 2 on top of the B.Arch.

Has someone said explicitly that NYU's program will prepare you for a 2 year M.Arch 1? Most M.Arch 1 programs I am familiar with are 3 or more years. They often have an option you can apply for which gives you advanced standing because of your undergrad. architecture experience, so you may be able to complete it in 2.5 or so years. If, however, NYU does not offer any studio courses, I would not be confident you could avoid 3 or more years of an M.Arch 1.

People apply to M.Arch 1 programs from all sorts of majors, and the typical story is that by the end of the program, everyone is on an equal footing, even those who may have had some architecture in undergrad.

My comment is that you seem to have two good options, but let the future happen organically. Your perceptions of architecture/your self/the world will likely be different 4-5 years from now. A broad undergraduate education can allow you to place architecture within a larger context. NYU Gallatin school has the Global Design program, which could be an exciting opportunity if you had access to those resources. 

Good luck!

Apr 5, 16 11:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: