Archinect
anchor

CMU/UCB/UVA/WUSTL/Pratt/SCI-Arc?

hhhhhhhhhy

Hi everyone,

I was just admitted to following undergraduate architecture programs: CMU, UC Berkeley, UVa, WUSTL, Pratt, SCI-Arc. 

Among the schools above, only CMU, Pratt and SCI-Arc offer B.Arch degree. 

CMU is known for its well-rounded education and beautiful campus, but I also find it hard to give up Berkeley because of its reputation and location. It seems that Berkeley's undergraduate architecture program is not competitive compared to other listed ones? As for UVa and WUSTL, I don't know much about them... I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. 

Pratt and SCI-Arc respectively give me 20000$ and 18000$ scholarship per year, but going to an art school means limited opportunities for learning and discussion on other subjects. Also, SCI-Arc doesn't have a campus, so what about students' residence?

Apr 1, 16 12:21 pm
proto

what led you to apply to these schools?

Apr 1, 16 5:33 pm  · 
 · 

I have always been incredibly impressed with the undergraduates at WUSTL. In all the classes I TA'd in my time as a grad student there, it was clear that the undergrads were the smartest and brightest kids in the room. Kudos on your admission. The program is a very well-round 4 year degree with options to pursue a BA, BS or BDesign in Architecture, and has exceptional opportunities to engage with and partake in WUSTL's robust Graduate Architecture curriculum, as well as great study abroad opportunities. Students going onto grad school consistently get into the highest ranked grad programs.    

I know its late in the process, but I would highly consider the school if you have not made your decision yet.

Apr 16, 16 3:47 am  · 
 · 
gdub

Maybe something like this will help you:

http://www.architecturalrecord.com/articles/10085-americas-top-architecture-schools-2016

My suggestion is to look into the following and then repost, so we can better assist:

A. Calculate, how many years (B. Arch=5), (B.Env+2 M.Ach), you will spend with each combo total, subtract scholarship and then repost. I assume you want to be licensed one day, so please post all years of proper schooling in order to do so. Please calculate in: In State versus Out of State Tuition. Here's an example...

A. Here are my options:

1. UC Berkeley (B.Env+M.Arch), 6 years, total tuition...$60,000(bogus sample number).

2. Pratt(B. Arch), 5 years, total $$$

B. Then tell us who is paying for your education(you or your parents) and how. Are they paying with student/parent loans, private loans, etc.

C. Tell us what top 2 firms you want to work at when you graduate and what city you would like to end up in.

Here's why.. Check out starting salaries for graduates... I think it is important to look at the cost of tuition versus reputation and also look at where you want to go after.... We don't want you to end up struggling in the first 8 years after graduation because you have to pay your student loans and aren't getting paid a lot....

Apr 16, 16 5:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: