Archinect
anchor

M.Arch II at Univ of Houston OR Texas A & M

pv1988

Hey!

Can anybody give me gist on attending these schools for the Master in Architecture program?

I live in Houston & would prefer to opt for Univ of Houston due to proximity issues. Although I was really pining for RSA (got rejected second year in a row). Anyway, I am trying to weigh my options on a couple of factors and would really like inputs on these schools. 

My main concerns are 'name' of the school, the strength of program, the strength of faculty, exposure to the architectural community in US (i am an international), job prospects post graduation. 

Mar 26, 16 2:14 am
LITS4FormZ

I received my M.Arch from U of H. If your biggest concern is "name" of the school then neither of the schools you listed will satisfy that requirement. 

However, if you are self-motivated, independent and have an idea of what you want to study then the program at U of H could be a good fit. The facilities are top-notch, it's quite rare to have such unlimited access to the various fabrication labs on campus. The faculty can be hit and miss, but the "good" students tend to get their way. They let in more students for the first year of M.Arch and then cut the program down for the final year.  

Once you've proven to the faculty that you can be trusted not to fail...at least this is my experience...they let you go on your own way. A good example of this is during thesis, I petitioned to tele-commute from China for 4 weeks so I could do field research. I had done well in the 3 previous semesters, they trusted me, and I was able to put together a strong thesis project. 

I know I'm in the minority here on Archinect, but my clients don't care where I went to school. They want to hear how you were able to deliver on previous projects and how you will deliver again for them. Where you go to school has little to no bearing on your future trajectory. Get the M.Arch, get your license and go get work. 

Mar 26, 16 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Where you go doesn't really matter (to an extent). It's all about what you put into it, and what you get out of it. They are directly related. What matters most is finding your voice.
Mar 27, 16 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Texas = that crazy guy in studio has a gun. Is that what you want?
Mar 27, 16 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

I second everything LITS4FormZ says above.  A driven person can rock at UH.  Take full advantage of the cheap tuition and great facilities.  Use the money you save to travel and get the best equipment and supplies.  Their weed-out method is to overwork you. Time management is key, live as close to possible to the campus and don't try to hold down a job while in school.

Forget about Rice, Rice graduates used to run everything architectural around Houston, but I've seen that fade somewhat in the 21st century, as they have made it a point since the 1980's to avoid admitting Houston residents.  These days, there are UH grads running all kinds of firms in Houston, Austin, and other places.

Apr 4, 16 8:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: