Archinect
anchor

Does it matter where I get my MArch?

yyy3

Hey everyone,

I am going to start my masters in architecture degree at the University of Toronto this September. My goal upon graduation is to work in a medium or large firm in the US, Hong Kong, or Japan. Would you say that it would be better to get a masters of architecture in a school from the three aforementioned places, or that it doesn't really matter where I get my MArch as long as it's certified? 

Mar 19, 16 12:34 am
MinimalCrazy
Wait why are going to UofT if you plan to work in those countries. Its reasonable to not want to study in japan as architects are very critical about the program there but there are very good schools in US and HK (HKU). UofT's curriculum focuses on toronto and its context. So it wouldn't exactly be too informative if you are working elsewhere.
Mar 19, 16 12:38 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Where you get your MArch is as insignificant as where a singer gets their degree in Music. If you can't sing/perform no school can help you.

Mar 19, 16 8:39 am  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy
I forgot to include, you also get less starting pay at least in HK if you have a foreign degree.
Mar 19, 16 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
gdub

Are you going to graduate with student loans? If so, you should look at the currency in: US, Hong Kong, or Japan, and look at the starting salary at the firm's in each place. You will be transferring money to Canada to pay your student loans, and the canadian loony will fluctuate relative to foreign currency. 

Ideally, if you want to work in the U.S., it is best to graduate from a program in the U.S. And with respect to an M.Arch, you want to go to the best school possible that you can afford. U of T is a great school, it is just not known everywhere by everyone.

It sounds like you have already made your decision and are going there. So, if you want to work in the U.S., try to push now to get summer internships in the U.S., or China/Japan, so that when you get out, you won't have a problem landing a job. I would imagine firm's that are both in the U.S. and in Canada and who practice overseas are your best choice. Look at: IBI, Stantec, HOK, Perkins and Will, HDR. They might not be your dream firm later on, but they will accept people with international degrees and will open the doors you need.

I would reach out to someone in each firm now and try to get an informational interview with someone from each firm and that way, you can get your foot in the door to be the first to hear about a new potential internship which might be coming up. You could always try to set up an informational interview with them via Skype if they are in another country. If you apply, they might not get back to you, but if you ask for an informational interview, they will try to find someone you can talk to, who can then be the key to landing that next job/internship.

Remember, that your professors are your ticket into a great job and so is your portfolio. So, focus on making sure that each of your projects from here on out, which you will be inserting into your portfolio, will be what lands you your next job. If you have professors who are from the U.S. or overseas, make sure to befriend them and don't be a difficult student. They might be your link to a killer job in one of those countries and can connect you with their friends or find you a job in a firm they have worked for in the past or currently work for!

Attend the local architecture lectures in town and network, network, network! U of T has a great network of people. If you meet someone who works for an engineering company or real estate development company, they all know architects and are great people to add to your LinkedIn and stay connected with, they might introduce you to the someone in your dream firm! Once you get out, you will see that the industry is small!

You landed in a great place. Some of the best architects in Canada work in Toronto. And most of the firm's which do international work in Canada, all have offices there. Leverage that connection and go out there and kick some ass! Good luck.

Mar 19, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

Nope what matters how much of a bs artist you are.

Mar 20, 16 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
yyy3

@gdub thank you for all the advice!!!

Mar 20, 16 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: