Archinect
anchor

Portfolio help for a non arch background application

Maddie95

I am planning to apply for MArch 1 for the coming year in the US. I will have an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering and have knowledge of Auto CAD and a little bit of Revit Arch. I also know how to draw elevation and cross section for a building. So can I include that skill in my portfolio where I can draw an elevation and some cross sections of a famous building? If so can you suggest me some suitable and well-known structures to suit my need. 

Feb 10, 16 3:10 am
ArchInspired

I would suggest that instead of a famous building, you should do drawings of your own design. Even if it's just a simple dwelling unit or tea house. I think the schools are looking for your design talent, rather than technical skills... those they can teach you very quickly once you're enrolled. Just my own opinion as I'm applying to March I programs this winter. 

Feb 10, 16 4:07 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Do your own designs, they don't want to see technical drawings of existing stuff. They could just open a book to see that.

Feb 10, 16 4:33 am  · 
 · 
Maddie95

thank you guys. That actually makes sense. 

Feb 11, 16 12:01 am  · 
 · 

I agree with ArchInspired. Showing you know AutoCAD and Revit is not important. They want to see your design potential. I would actually discourage you from preparing materials using either program because inevitably the program capabilities and your skillset will limit your creativity. Work in hand sketches or sketchup. Try and do a minimum of three design charettes that produce solutions to hypothetical architectural programs. Represent each in plan, section, elevation, and perspective. Show the admission committee that you have thought about composition, materiality, form, structure, concept, etc. You can gain a wealth of knowledge exploring various online tutorials for illustrator, photoshop, and sketchup. A great place to start is www.lynda.com. Also look at other architecture portfolios on ISSU for inspiration. Try and find where your talents lie and exploit them. Good luck!

Feb 11, 16 8:30 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I agree with Daniel, AutoCAD and Revit aren't there are creative freedom they're mainly there for the final product. If you want to use a program, using a freeflow one where it isn't limiting you is the best choice in terms of conceptual design. Something like 3DS max, Rhino or Sketchup combined with some Adobe programs will be better.

Feb 11, 16 9:06 am  · 
 · 
Maddie95

@Danial Lear- I'm planning to have 3 sections in my portfolio and that doesn't include art (paintings or any sketch) or photography skill. So if I'm going to design three charrettes and solution to them should they be included in one section? I think it will be compact, will it not?

Feb 12, 16 1:51 am  · 
 · 

Maddie95 - What I meant by section in the above post was drawings of architectural sections. The section is one of the most powerful ways to convey architectural ideas and I would highly recommend spending time developing at least one for each building charette you do. Try to utilize your artistic background. Here are some examples of artistic architectural sections:

I would separate your portfolio by project and then have a section for art/photography. Try and start and end with a strong project. Take a look at some of these portfolios on Issuu for inspiration.

Feb 12, 16 9:18 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: