Archinect
anchor

Top 4 year undergraduate BA/BS architecture programs?

WaffleMan22

Hello everyone,

I have been looking everywhere and have not been able to find anything on the top ten/twenty four year programs. I have only found rankings that solely consist of 5 year B.Arch programs. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!

Jan 3, 16 1:46 pm
DeTwan

Architecture ranks at about the bottom of desirability in any "profession". Also, I don't believe there are any B.arch programs that are 4 years. Most colleges are moving to a M.arch program b/c they know your parents will pay for you to become a majestic architect! 

Jan 3, 16 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

^  What he said!

Unless you go on for a masters you will have a low value degree.  Either go for a "professional" licensure track or pick another profession.  I would recommend the latter option.  Architecture really is an inferior profession.

Jan 3, 16 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

http://architecture-schools.startclass.com/

.... there is nothing like "the top 4 years architecture program" 

Jan 3, 16 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
ArchInspired

graduated from a 4-yr program myself, I would highly recommend the professional school, if you already know that architecture is what you want to do. I didn't know that when I went to college back in 2011 so the liberal arts school suited me well. But now I have to do a MArch since BA in architectural studies means nothing in the job market. 

Jan 3, 16 9:25 pm  · 
 · 

What arch_lover said. A four-year pre-professional BA program will give you the flexibility to pick a different major in the future if you want, and it will also give you advanced standing in most MArch programs if that's what you decide to do.

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any time worrying about which one is "best". Pick a public university close to home where you can get in-state tuition and maybe save money on living expenses. If you decide to go for an MArch degree in the future, then worry about that program's pedigree. Once you get your MArch degree, nobody will give a rat's ass where you went for undergrad.

Jan 3, 16 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
On the fence

You are on a 5, 6 or 7 year track to be in architecture.  And that 5 year track is probably going the way of the dodo.  Like was pointed out, these schools know your parents and yourself will pony up for the extra years.  And you should be willing to pay for those professors inflated tenured salaries and positions if you want into this racket...,er I mean club, ....profession. Sorry.

Jan 5, 16 9:56 am  · 
 · 
g.thomas.z

My advice: throw those absurd architecture school rankings out.  They are never consistent from publication to publication, and they're all constantly fluctuating.  A so-called 'Top-10' school during your first year may fall to #50 by the time you graduate.  At any rate, DON'T TAKE ON YEARS OF CRIPPLING DEBT JUST TO GET A PRESTIGIOUS DEGREE ON YOUR RESUME.  Architecture is far different than law or medicine.  What I mean is you may be able to find your first job more quickly with a Harvard degree, but you will ultimately be getting paid a painfully similar salary as someone who graduated from Portland State.  Your true education begins with your first real job and that is when you will have a chance to differentiate yourself.

I graduated from Montana State University (a highly underrated school, I might add) with a Master's Degree after five years.  I had a great experience, a fantastic portfolio to show for it, and finished with ZERO DEBT.  Meanwhile, my former roommate went to Columbia for his Master's and finished two years later than me (due to lost credits and whatnot), and with $200k worth of debt. Who do you think is better off financially today?

Bottom line, save yourself the debt and d!ck measuring contests that coincide with the Ivy Leagues and get an affordable M.Arch degree.

Jan 9, 16 12:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: