Archinect
anchor

GPA & GSD?

lo-seph

I am a currently a fifth year architecture major.  My dream is to go to Harvard GSD in two or three years, after I graduate and work at a firm for a little bit.  I think my portfolio is pretty strong and I have some intriguing projects, as well as a good resume (I interned with a well-connected, top firm last summer), but my GPA is less than impressive.  As an underclassman it took me a while to get on my feet academically, and even though I've managed to pull my GPA a considerable amount, I still have a 3.0 and get a mix of A's and B's (mostly B's.....) I always hear people say portfolio matters more than GPA for grad school, but I'm afraid that my GPA will stick out on my application even with a strong portfolio/resume/scores/recommendations.  Has anyone gotten into the GSD (or other top M.Arch programs) with a less than stellar GPA?  Thanks!   

Dec 12, 15 11:29 pm
Dangermouse

You could get in, but you won't get any aid and the GSD certainly isn't worth paying a full 60k/year tuition 

Dec 13, 15 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

does the GPA really matter?

he/she wouldn't get an aid anyway if he/she is an international student..?

Dec 13, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
thompson's gazelle

Heard a lot of stories of getting in with a 2-3 range GPA and a below average GRE, but have met very few who got in with a GPA lower than 3.0.

But it might just be that people who got in with good portfolios just happened to have high GPA's (which is very natural in my opinion).

In terms of $$, GSD is pretty generous with financial aids--you could still get some support through need-based aids. 

Dec 13, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: