Archinect
anchor

Another March II portfolio crit

international_applicant

Hello guys I am applying for an MArch II post-professional program.

This is a chapter of my portfolio.

It would be more than great if I could get a crit from anyone interested.

Appreciate all help and comments

http://issuu.com/gkontomi/docs/4-14

Dec 2, 15 7:41 pm
Spoons

Same comments as before on a few things and some new stuff:

1. Bright blue project number text is too prominent.

2.  QR code.  Get rid of it.

3.  I would prefer captions to be immediately underneath the drawing / diagram.  Your system isn't terrible, but I think it's unnecessary. 

4.  I think at maybe 2-3 moments per project you can break from your typical spreads and feature a single or maybe two images much more prominently with perhaps some brief statement that helps to summarize the intent of each project.  Or maybe emphasize a few lines of text throughout the project that draws your eye and can act as brief summary if I have 2 minutes to look at your portfolio.  You have so much text and so many images it doesn't have a super clear hierarchy.  If I'm flipping through your portfolio I see alot of pretty images but I don't even have the remotest idea what your projects are about.  

Just an example:  Your model for this project looks great, why not have it be a full spread?  You have some nicely draw diagrams, but it strains my eyes to try to read them maybe one is significant enough to be a full spread?

Great work by the way.  

Dec 2, 15 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@spoons thank you very much for your comments! Most of them are actually things I was afraid of and thought that I should change. What about the text font? My text is 14 and the captions are 11, but each page is a3 (so my spread is 2 a3), and I am not sure if I should make the font bigger. The question is are the judging comittee members going to zoom at my spreads in order to see everything, or are they just clicking at fast pace?

Dec 3, 15 3:42 am  · 
 · 
enotnough

I agree with Spoons about your caption system, and I think that if you really wanted to keep it, you should think about putting the page layout diagrams in the same location on each spread to make it clear and easy to spot right away. Building off of that, I think it's obvious that you put a lot of thought into your diagrams and in trying to make everything labeled and marked; however, I did find myself having to do a lot of "back and forth" looking to figure out what was going on in each one. Also, because there are so many categories (photography, gastronomy, etc), that particular diagram began to look too repetitive for me - I'm wondering if they are all necessary, or if there is some other way to show that you considered all those aspects? 

Dec 3, 15 11:22 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Thank you guys! Really helpful comments here, from both of you! My main concern is though the viewing of my portfolio by the commitee! Do they zoom during the admissions crit or do they just flipping through portfolios!? I guess that when you have 200 - 300 applicants it is kind of difficult to check every detail of ones work

Dec 4, 15 5:29 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

You don't need the QR code

You need a hero spread/image instead of loads of small ones together on the same page, one big image to wow people.

I see a few diagrams and plans being used through several pages, maybe clean that up however this is a great project, probably one of the best I've seen on this forum in ages, I can see a lot of hard work went through it!

Dec 4, 15 6:07 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

@archiwutm8 thank you for your reply! I am working on keeping what is really neccessary and leaving out things that just take up really important space in my spreads. I am also trying to get my study, presentation models photos bigger as well as the hero kick ass spread/ image to wow everyone.

Apart from that what can I say about your kind words!? You just made my day with your compliments about my diploma thesis! :) I hope my other projects are as good as this one to get me into one of my choices. 

I am still wondering if the judging commitee members zoom during the admissions crit or do they just flipping through portfolios!?

Dec 4, 15 7:50 am  · 
 · 
lourou

Awesome and unique portfolio! 

Overall it flows well and reads pretty good. I agree with some of the comments on the use of color in your text. It doesn't seem necessary. I'd also give more love to those models, they show some great craftsmanship and I almost want a whole spread with just enlarged images of the models and the detail in them!

Other than those few things, it looks great! Good luck! 

Dec 8, 15 4:09 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words loulou!

Hopefully everything is going to be ok in the end! :)

Dec 8, 15 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
gradschoolaspirant

I really like your layout and the drawings are of a very high quality. I think you will get into some great schools! As the others said, maybe fewer diagrams or one large consolidated diagram which explains your big ideas. I am also applying for M.arch II this fall and in the process of finalizing my portfolio. In fact, I've already sent it to one university (TU Delft). Looking at your portfolio as well as one which was posted on another thread, I have a few doubts: 1. TU Delft specifically mentioned that font sizes should be large enough to be read easily on a screen without zooming. On the other hand, I have noted that most of the portfolios being posted on this forum are using very tiny fonts which look beautiful but aren't necessarily legible unless someone goes to the trouble to zoom in. Is that a European vs American thing or am I missing something here? Perhaps they review it on larger screens/projectors in America? I can save a lot of space if I reduce size, so it would be great if someone can clarify on this. 2. Another specification by TU Delft was that the PDF should be saved so as to be viewed page by page and that too a maximum of 30 pages (not spreads). Most portfolios I have seen on archinect are well over that limit. Since it would be a massive waste of resources if they printed every single portfolio for review, I do not understand the concept of spreads for screen only viewing. Apologies in advance for any ignorance on my behalf.

Dec 9, 15 6:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: