Archinect
anchor

Dispute client vs architect

You do know that there is no such thing as an unlicensed architect.

Dec 2, 15 6:44 pm  · 
 · 

Yeah, there is. Finland? Sweden?

U.S. Federal jurisdiction?

American Samoa?

Add to that the 10,000 years of architecture before architectural licensing laws were invented.

Dec 2, 15 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Eames was an unlicensed architect...

Dec 2, 15 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

the term "architect" cannot be used to title someone without license. it is against the law in the US.  The term "unlicensed architect" would be an illegal title to call yourself in a professional environment. Plus it makes you sound like a douche.

Use the titles "designer" or "drafter"

Dec 2, 15 6:59 pm  · 
 · 

Richard, with all respect, that comment was not addressed to you. For your own sake, why don't you not post comments for a couple of weeks. Take a rest, go somewhere, see a movie, anything other than post here. This place is making you worse. You are doing yourself a disservice by inviting this level of hatred from some people here.

Dec 2, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Cambino, you used the term licensed architect implying one could be an unlicensed architect.

Dec 2, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

I see what you mean Z1111, and you're right, I was just trying to be clear that architects are licensed and this drafter most likely is not.

Dec 2, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 

Cambino,

I understand that the states illegally adopted architectural licensing laws to coopt a common word term by adopting a  law that abridges the Constitutional right of the freedom of speech - violating the 14th Amendment in closed to the public legislative sessions without proper public notification sufficient to letting public be sufficiently notified in advance about proposed legislation and be able to respond and give their input.

Think about that for a moment. 

Aside from that, I don't desire the headache of licensing boards so I do use the designer title instead unless I were to do a project where there is not architect licensing laws and can just use the title. Then OBAE and other licensing boards in the U.S. can go f--- themselves. I wouldn't use the word 'unlicensed' in the title. I would just use the word 'architect' because in a place where there is no architectural licensing, there is no licensed or unlicensed architects. You are either, 'architect' or not.

Dec 2, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

z1111, 

Just catching up to the post you directed to me. Okay. Sounds good. A couple weeks or so would help me get caught up on that I need to be getting going on. 

Dec 2, 15 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

in a place where there is no architectural licensing, there is no licensed or unlicensed architects. 

If there is such a place, I do not know of it.

Dec 2, 15 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
Cambino

this thread isn't about licensing, guys.  its about this dude that wants to get his house built with some drafter that left him hanging.  He is in a situation that doesn't require a licensed architect, so whether you agree or not with the laws, it doesn't matter, and I feel like an idiot for commenting about something so off topic

Dec 2, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 
tduds

Touche.

shuellmi Donna are both spot on with everything they've said. I'll leave it at that.

Dec 2, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Another Balkanized thread.

Alas.

Dec 2, 15 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
Good_Knight

OP is looking for a free lunch courtesy of the hapless drafter except the hapless drafter isn't giving his lunch out for free.

Good on the drafter.

Go pound sand OP.

Dec 3, 15 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
jp22

Also please do post an update. Despite the bickering and the slight air of hostility that sometimes exists here. Everyone loves to hear how things were resolved. 

Mahalo

Dec 3, 15 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

use the god damn A201 and B101.

end of story

Dec 3, 15 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
OP is a troll. See, no follow up reply.
Dec 5, 15 8:38 am  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

So the draftsman the OP is talking about is Rick Balkins aka RickB-OR? is that why the OP is not replying to the trend?

Dec 6, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 

no, ArchNyen.

Dec 6, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
DeTwan

There is probably one of two situations happening...

Situ #1: The OP saw the fire storm of radical architectural comments that in some way terrorized them into not reply...as known as NGF, Not Givin A Fux.

Or

Situ #2: The OP is in fact Balkins asking the question (and in every new thread created), only to reply to himself in his word. Balkins was/still is a master troll from the early nineties that has been slowly diminished in growth since his zenith of trolidism circa 1998 and the release of yahoo search. By the early "aughts", most forums had to add moderators to prevent balkinites from constantly copy/pasting. This is one of the last unclaimed territories of the interweb that is still trollable... most major news websites in the past couple years have even killed their discussion boards because it is just a bunch of trolls bantering back and fourth, copy/pasting away.

Dec 6, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

DeTwan,

Situ #2 is not the case. 

Situ #1: Plausible

Dec 6, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Wasn't there a DickB spoof account? Im ready for that to be resurrected with somethingfunny ...

Dec 6, 15 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
larchitectural

What's your advice on clients requesting original illustrator, InDesign, GIS, and source data? 

By contract, we own all IP, and are reluctant to hand over the original files, knowing that they could be messed with, used for further work, or have our name associated with products that we did not finalize. 

Any experience or recommendations? Thanks

Sep 10, 20 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Here in the Fine State of Connecticut, if your working on a State Funded Project you are expected to turn over electronic files at the end of the project. Most towns are also now asking that you file electronic files for permitting. This is part of  the, "New Deep State", They also want you to do Zoom Meetings for  Inland wetland meetings, zoning meetings and zoning board of  appeals meetings.  The Building Officials don't want to come out and do inspections but want to do  facetime inspections.  When we get thru this Covid mess it will be some time before we know how much crap was built with little supervision. 

Sep 20, 20 4:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: