Archinect
anchor

Australian Postgraduate Schools

voduykim

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of applying for the Master in Architecture in Australia. I have an Australian citizenship, however, I've never visited the country before. I already finished my degree in Architecture at HCM University of Architecture and have been working for 2 years at a local architectural practice. I'm living in VN since birth so I really don't know anything about  the Australian schools, their focus and teaching methods. 

My interest, at the moment, is the relationship between building and its larger context especially the urban context, the way the city reacts to the architecture which I did try to explore toward the end of my study. The idea of urbanism is still very new in VN as schools in here usually teach students to conjure buildings out of thin air, so mostly everything I've learned about urbanism is on my own, through some blind luck I'm afraid. I'm not exactly sure I would like to study urban design or planning since I still want to focus on buildings. In fact the programs at TU Delft in Netherlands are closed to what I want to study, as they explore the complex relationship between architecture, city and society, but since I'm not a European citizen the tuition fee would be a huge debt for me.  

So far, the only information I can gather about the architectural schools in Australia is on their website (which are very general about the program) and from a 5 year old thread in this forum. My initial impression is that they mostly focus on scripting and fabrication. From what I heard that RMIT is considered one of the best in Architecture, but I'm not sure about that since I can hardly find any of their students' work or just a bit image of some avant garde architecture. I also saw University of Melbourne in top of QS ranking, but some people on this forum said that their program is not exactly breakthrough. There are also new schools on the rise like UTS, Monash, Bond, or Deakin which adding more to my confusion.  

Has anyone attend at these school? Or have any idea about programs at those schools? Please tell me if you know anything. 

Nov 26, 15 3:52 pm
meddle

Tips for you,

1. Choose a city ,

2. Then uni

Nov 26, 15 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
ecnal

If you are going to study in Australia, then architecturally I think Melbourne is the richest architectural environment to learn from in the country. I may be biased as I live here and studied at RMIT, but having travelled fairly extensively and worked on jobs around the country- there is definitely a more interesting and engaged understanding of architecture in Melbourne. Deakin is in Geelong, and could be counted a country school by most standards. Monash is in Caulfield, only vaguely urban. Melbourne Uni and RMIT attract the best student cohorts and are harder to get into, but are on balance the better programs- although very different. Melbourne Uni is kind of the crusty old uncle of programs, while RMIT might be more like the young punk on the scene. RMIT's campus is in the fabric of the cbd, so engagement with urbanism is particularly strong. Good luck with your choice!

Nov 27, 15 12:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: