Archinect
anchor

Undergraduate Admissions

chimiching

Hi,

So I am finishing a Finance undergraduate degree at a decent Canadian university (Concordia/JMSB), and will graduate with a gpa around 3.3-3.4. I've enrolled in this degree solely to get a grasp of how business worked to kind of give me a false sense of control with some ideas that I have, but honestly its more external factors than me that made me do it. Also, I switched from sciences to social sciences in high school, and my overall highschool grade isnt great (im talking about CEGEP if youre reading this and are from Qc).

This got me to skip most of my classes during my degree but in the end helped me build (i think) a pretty nice design portfolio as I worked on some different projects. I say good just because theres some real multidisciplinary work; product design and actual electronic prototype builds, an app design, a couple of interior and exterior stage designs (I produce concerts) and of course some building ideas that I had fun modelling.

As for my question, I know that drawing and thinking about physical constructions (wether be to decorate, to house, to walk on, etc.) will aways be close to my mind, and thats why I'm trying to find concrete information on admissions;

Do architecture bachelor programs only recognize degrees in pure and applied science subjects? 

Are architectural programs usually solely focused on buildings or does the design of other structures are also usually implemented?

TLDR; I am finishing a Finance underdrad with good grades and have no past in pure and applied sciences, how should I go about applying to an architectural undergrad?

Thanks and sorry if I misused some terms and what not...cheers!

Nov 23, 15 4:28 pm

You don't need an arch. undergrad - you have an undergrad. You can apply to masters programs if you are confident in your portfolio and have the required math courses (I think it's linear algebra & calculus). Master's programs in Canada & the States take all sorts of backgrounds. 

If you think your portfolio needs work, take some applied arts / design courses at a place like OCAD / ACAD / NASCAD for a year and then apply.

You can find out all of the details if you look into application requirements on each school's website.

Nov 23, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
chimiching

Thanks Stephanie! I thought I had to cross out getting into a masters program directly, simply because my undergrad has nothing to do with architecture, sciences or design.

Would you have, quickly on top of your head, any suggestions as to some architecture schools offered in english in Europe that I should look at?

Nov 23, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

I cannot speak for programs in Europe, but below are two websites for programs in the U.S. and Canada.

http://www.naab.org

http://www.archschools.org

You are correct about needing a portfolio to apply to a Master of Architecture; they are NOT looking for architecture, but rather creativity.  To be learn what is needed contact the programs directly and ask.

BEST!

Nov 24, 15 6:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
UofT is made for students like you. Take their 3y march and you'll be well on your way.

If your goal is to work and practice in canada, take a Canadian march. You'll be lost without one since you don't have a relevant barch.
Nov 24, 15 6:53 am  · 
 · 

Respectfully disagree with NS, it's perfectly fine to come with a European masters and begin arch. internship in Canada. As long as you're willing to track all your courses and pay the CACB to review your degree, that is.

I think there are several threads here already that cover European masters with English instruction. 

Nov 24, 15 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I see where you're coming from with that but my issue has always been that foreign education is hit or miss in terms of adaptability to Canadian/North American practice.

I've seen too  many students come in with foreign degrees and fail to catch up to those trained locally... but it all depends on the OP's expectations. I prefer to see people hit the ground running and be able to be tossed into the field week one following graduation than educate them further while on client's clock.

Nov 24, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 

Ha... right... I haven't met a single person educated in Canada OR Europe who fits your description who didn't already have their own firm by the time they graduated. Though I guess it depends on your description of 'ground' and 'running'...

Nov 24, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: