Archinect
anchor

First job after M.Arch

howareyou

Hello all,

I am a final year M.Arch student about to graduate in May next year. So I am wondering what is a relatively good time to start applying job after graduate? I was thinking about doing it in the coming winter break but I am worrying about if I started to get interviewed and some employers will be disappointed if I can't start immediately and that may also damage my future opportunity after graduation? Please advise!

Thank you all in advance! 

Nov 10, 15 10:10 pm
bowling_ball

The sooner, the better. The worst that can happen is that they tell you that it's too early, and to reapply in spring. At that point, they'll probably remember you from the first time, which is generally helpful. Get started soon. And good luck.

Nov 10, 15 11:34 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

What BB said, do it. Just be upfront that you can't start till after school.

Nov 11, 15 12:30 am  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

I took a different route... I had an easy job near my university for four months after graduation and chilled out for a bit. I then applied around to a lot of firms through networking and otherwise, and I noticed that the fatigue over the influx of new graduates had worn off by late fall/early winter- which made for more opportunities had I applied earlier. 

I focused on my thesis and my final months at college to finish out with a great project instead of stressing about jobs. You have the rest of your life to work- but you won't have complete control over the design process for awhile (if ever). Also, firms like to hire someone and have them in the office within a month or two. Few firms are willing to hire a new grad and wait six months for them to start, unless they were an intern previously. 

Also totally depends where you are. 

Nov 11, 15 12:50 am  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

Not bad advice above. You may want a break. An advantage of waiting until late summer is that firms might be looking to replace summer students who are returning to school in September.

I defended my thesis on  Friday, and started my new job the next Monday because I was super poor. Not the smartest thing to do unless you have no choice. 

Nov 11, 15 3:22 am  · 
 · 
3tk

You can always network early: ask for informational interviews (a chance to see many offices w/o too much pressure; and a chance to see how interested each firm really is).  If you need to start right after graduation then winter is the time to start applying - it'll put you in consideration against summer interns (or maybe you start out as a summer intern...). Otherwise as others mentioned, the post summer intern gap is a good time to fall in.  i will say that the nicer portfolios do help a lot, so take the time over winter to fix it up or take the first few months after school (if you can afford it, especially b/c access to software gets harder as you move away from school).

Nov 11, 15 5:09 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: