Archinect
anchor

M.Arch portfolio critique - please help

januseo

Hi all,

I would like to get some critique on my M.Arch portfolio draft (for GSD, MIT, Yale, U.Michigan). It would be very helpful if you could give me some fresh perspective on coherence and overall theme (throughout the portfolio as well as per each project) - I'm a bit stuck on how to tie everything together into a coherent story. Criticisms on details and specifics would also be much appreciated!

Feel free to contact me on my email (junginseo10@gmail.com) and thank you for your time.

Jung In

http://issuu.com/junginseo10/docs/jung_in_seo_portfolio_draft_-_20150

Nov 4, 15 12:07 pm
alrightalright

nice layout, graphics, images, although I would reduce the number of images per page.

nothing particularly stood out though; the projects are fairly typical "good" work. I am most intrigued about the fabric studies.

work more on the last section, the "miscellaneous" one:

-don't crowd the images all on two pages; it shows your attitude towards the work that actually shows your personality (one or two of those types of images MAX. my brain hurts looking at all the colors and media slammed on two pages)

-do more of those: these are the pieces that tell me the most about you and how you work; all your studio work looks fairly conventional (who's the author???), although proficient digitally speaking

Nov 5, 15 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
januseo

@alrightalright:

Thank you for the input. The lack of the personality is exactly what I am struggling with - I know that at the end of the day I should decide what story should show through, but at the moment I can't determine what it is that makes these projects mine. I was hoping that a fresh pair of eyes could point out some patterns and themes that I am blind to. What makes you interested in the fabric studies?

The miscellaneous section was meant as a mosaic, something that I didn't have the confidence to devote many pages because I felt they are less relevant to the admission process. I agree that they are way too crowded. Thanks again!

Nov 6, 15 5:04 am  · 
 · 

I think your texts are great in terms of font / style / size / location / color.

Your "Clouds" project is interesting and your model looks amazing. I agree on using that somewhat eye-level perspective view as a main image on page 2, but I feel the top right image on page 6 is also very compelling. Top 3 images on your page 5-6 should be bigger. On this page, I see that you are trying to align your photos with your drawings, but photos are more interesting than the drawings. I think the "shades" in your photos give 3-dimensional interesting quality than the flat 2D drawings. Not so sure about page 7-8. It bothers me that some of the images are cut off in row 3 and 5 of the black bars. And they look too similar. 24 Images at the bottom in page 11-16 doesn't do anything, reduce the number or just get rid of them. The cloud renderings in page 12-16 are visually pleasing but perhaps the cloud looks too flat?

Solids and Platforms is not bad in general. Those lights under the volume in the black shadow is kind of weird in page 18. Maybe have them relate to your facade texture? I think the stair could have been a floating sculptural piece instead of being attached to the walls, leaving your program boxes pure, how the stairs start from the corner surrounded by blank walls at the ground level is not so great, but that's just my quick intuition.

Not so convinced by your project 3 maybe because I don't see renderings nor model. It looks incomplete.

I think you should have at least 5 architectural projects. Is this for M.Arch I? I think you have talent, keep pushing. It was entertaining in general, thanks for posting.

Nov 6, 15 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: