Archinect
anchor

Should I earn an Associate's Degree in Architecture or drafting technologies?

Section 70.1 brings up Hazmat stuff. 

Sep 30, 15 2:35 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

I think I'll just buy a second home in Astoria and hire Balkins to cut my lawn.

He's too busy thinking about how he can extract all of his programs from a bunch of floppy disks without spending 15 dollars on a disk drive.

Sep 30, 15 7:21 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I think the was referring to this paragraph;

(1) Independent, non-licensed practice or experience, regardless of claimed coordination or liaison with licensed professionals, shall not be granted credit.

Sep 30, 15 8:00 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

Oh this will not end well...

Sep 30, 15 8:04 am  · 
 · 
MyDream

I'm glad people are not dissing A.S degrees, but that the OP has a Bachelors and does'nt need to get an A.S. I tend to agree with this like I stated before about hime getting a 3 year option. His uncle or whoever can teach him a few things for sure , but dont knock a few quick autocad courses and maybe a few others to increase his skill set.

Sep 30, 15 9:07 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Lol jeromeS. Is that real? I just made the CCR up to keep Balkins busy.

Lol nullpointer
Sep 30, 15 9:51 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Absolutely real! - Its at the bottom of the link RWB,PBD provided.

Sep 30, 15 9:54 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

The original poster wouldn't fall under the definition of "independent, non-licensed practice or experience" if he's an employee in the office of his uncle.  That's supervised experience and if he accumulates enough of it he can indeed become licensed in CA and several other states with no degree.

On the other hand Richard's most recent scheme to become licensed with no degree seems problematic. He's trying to form a partnership with a licensed architect who will "supervise" him remotely while he completes IDP and the additional years of experience required by CA or WA, without ever leaving the attic.  That may unfortunately satisfy NCARB's current rules regarding IDP supervision - but it doesn't seem to satisfy the clause noted above.

Sep 30, 15 10:08 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

I'm sure he will weigh in shortly with some shade-tree legal analysis

Sep 30, 15 10:14 am  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

It'll be awhile.  It's not even 8 am his time, and he stays up all night reading pdfs of scanned drafting manuals from the penultimate turn of the century.

Sep 30, 15 10:41 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

"WELL I'D PREFER TO DO CRISP CYANOTYPE BLUEPRINTS."

Sep 30, 15 10:56 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

"I'm working on a release of AutoCAD for the Commodore 64.  It would complete by now, but I have been having trouble with my Prodigy account"

Sep 30, 15 11:40 am  · 
 · 

nullpointer,

When it comes to those floppy disks, you really don't know what you are talking about. 

Do you know the difference between GCR and MFM  encoding?

Sep 30, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

http://www.retrofloppy.com/

Sep 30, 15 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
no_form

the bigger point balkins is who really cares about the difference between GCR and MFM encoding?  it's an obsolete technology.  i can't imagine that your programs written 20 years ago are going to be the secret key to the next hottest iphone app or a breakthrough in quantum computing.  there are most likely excel formulas more useful than whatever hackneyed junk is on those floppies.

Sep 30, 15 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Dick, nobody gives a shit.

Let me know when you want to talk about coding plugins for Grasshopper or Dynamo, k?

Sep 30, 15 1:07 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

There is means of maintaining supervision over the preparation of CAD drawings even remotely. We don't have to be all in the same office on a daily basis.

What they are talking about by independent experience is regarding independent building design. You might want to recall that California did have a registered building designer program and building designers are not all that uncommon in California. 

I'm not talking about getting experience just by designing and doing all the work of designing a project and then handing it over to the architect to review and stamp.

Under California law, there isn't necessarily explicit requirements that a person must be in the same building. In this day and age, there is a great deal of remote supervision that is still supervision. 

Add to that, the type of work involved can reflect the degree and extent of supervision in person.

Lets say the building is exempt? An architect isn't required, technically. If the architect is involved, how much and how extensive does an architect need to directly supervise a person in person (for example) is dependent upon the work involved, the persons doing the work, etc.

Under OAR 806-010-0045

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/pages/rules/oars_800/oar_806/806_010.html

(b) Any architect signing or sealing technical submissions not prepared by that architect, but prepared under the architect's responsible control by persons not regularly employed in the office where the architect is resident, will maintain and make available to the Board, upon request, adequate records to demonstrate the nature and extent of the architect's control over, and detailed knowledge of, such technical submissions throughout their preparation.

Even in Washington, offices are integrating with use of tools like Sococo and other 'virtual office' infrastructure, as well as other tools allows for extensive communication, interaction and supervision even when there is a geographical separation.

As long as there is extensive involvement of the architect designated in charge of preparation, a good record keeping involved of the architect's control over the preparation, detail knowledge of the technical submissions throughout preparation. This codified guideline in Oregon is sufficient to satisfying Washington in this contemporary age of architecture as is already in practice as they accept IDP and therefore the experience under that would satisfy.

California will also accept experience even when there is physical separation. When they are talking independent practice, they are talking about work not don under an architect's supervision / responsible control. 

Even if I was a co-owner in a partnership with an architect, it is not independent practice just because I am an owner because the architect would also be an owner and I can't fire the architect and the architect would be in charge of services offered as architectural services. If I design a house without involvement of the architect, which I legally may when billed out as building design services vs. architectural services, the hours I spend there will not count under California or just about any state law. 

There has to be a dialogue between the supervising architect and the person directly preparing the drawings throughout all phases of the project(s). This means, I submit technical submissions throughout each design phase, including pre-design phase, the architect redlines and I correct. It's more than that. It also means even throughout the preparation of technical submissions, prototypical documents, etc. the supervising architect and I discusses the project, design intent, ect. In addition to that of the client which again with modern technology, we can facilitate meetings involving all parties without all parties having to be in the same space.

I have experience in doing collaboration involving individuals in different parts of the world. The tools to do so are there.

It is maintaining the integrity of supervision and control even when people aren't all physically in the same room. The use of digital content in the first place facilitates remote supervision. In the days of yore when drawings were all hand drawn, remote supervision was rather difficult to facilitate adequately. 

With digital files that can be transferred electronically over high speed internet, makes it easier to maintain. Add to that, tools like cell phone, Skype, and Sococo (and similar tools) makes the process considerably easier to keep interpersonal contact. 

The tools are there if you use it sufficiently. 

In a brick & mortar office, you're not necessarily all in the same room. You have often a lobby area and various individual offices and a conference room. Therefore, when the architect is in one office and the intern is in another office, they are not in physical sight of each other all the time. There has to be a certain degree of independent judgement and progress. The architect's office can very well be on a different floor than that of the interns.

You can get the same effect as needed to fulfill projects and get the experience needed. 

Architecture firms are already embracing such technology. I'm sure, there is possible room to add an additional architect that will be physically close for supervision and add them to a partnership and address those somewhat archaic/esoteric concerns of in-person contact.

Sep 30, 15 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete, I already have means of transfering files. It is a matter of do I care to. I have one of these: 1541Ultimate II

http://www.1541ultimate.net/content/index.php

and one of these:

http://www.retroswitch.com/products/flyer/

Sep 30, 15 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

You really want to get audited, don't' you?

If there is one thing you learn, by dealing with registration and building officials over the years, is that their interpretation is what matters - not yours. You're so fucking vocal about your plans here and everywhere that there is no way you aren't going to have your experience audited. Get prepared. You're never going to be an architect, and you have been your own worst enemy.

Get ready to hire a lawyer.

Probably going to end up being more expensive than grad school.

Sep 30, 15 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

He's already been investigated in both OR and WA, which puts him on the mandatory "further scrutiny required" list anyway.

In Oregon if the firm is a corporation then two thirds of the directors must be licensed (it's not just that two thirds of the shares of ownership must be owned by architects, but that two thirds of the persons who own the corporate firm must be licensed.)  You can't have a 2-person architecture corporation in Oregon with only one licensed architect.  You'd need to find two architects willing to join this charade.

Years ago his plan was to get licensed in American Samoa - nothing ever came of it.  This will be the same.

Sep 30, 15 1:54 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

For Oregon projects, yes. I can still work around Oregon when services regarding architectural services are projects outside the state and explicitly indicate where such services are offered. Actually, there is another way around Oregon by contracting a one person architectural firm that is an LLC which I can if needed or I get the Oregon contractor license and still get around that. There is more than one way to deal with it.  

There is no licensing in American Samoa. 

Sep 30, 15 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

There are no architect licenses granted BY American Samoa, but in practice a US-licensed architect is typically required for all of the same sorts of projects that would require one in most US states.  That's because American Samoa still uses the UBC, which grants the building official the right to determine the qualifications required of the design professionals on a project-by-project basis.  In practice architects on anything beyond residential work are licensed.

As for the architecture firm scheme:  even if the architect who partners with you is in compliance with his own state's rules and Oregon's in joining this boondoggle, they're taking a lot of risk in supervising you remotely - whether on exempt or non-exempt projects.  If these are real projects then he's taking on liability for your screw ups (a scary proposition).  If they're not real projects - i.e. invented imaginary projects for the sole purpose of accumulating experience - then they don't meet any state's experience requirements.

Sep 30, 15 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@JBeaumont

Investigated for what? I am in awe of how deep your Balkins knowledge runs.

Sep 30, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I was a mod on another Balkins-plagued forum.  Encyclopedic Balkins biographical info was an occupational hazard.

He said it was for advertising himself as an architect and he got the cases dismissed because the service provider websites characterized him that way without his consent - although he did admit that he deliberately used the "Architect" code to classify his business ("because it fit best") when he registered it with the states - which is where those sites pull that info from - so it seems like yet another of his "not necessarily illegal bending of rules".

Sep 30, 15 2:22 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

Wow... all that and your firm is guilty of supervision of remote employees. Come on.

A 21st century architecture office aren't all huddle in a single one room school house.

Sep 30, 15 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Actually, I don't sign IDP for those people because none of them qualify for IDP on the basis of how much work I give them; so "supervise" is a bit too strong of a term.

Continue.

Sep 30, 15 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
Sharky McPeterson

One day, after Balkins becomes a successful architect, I will see if he will design a home for my family and me. Hopefully I will still be able to afford to hire him.

Sep 30, 15 2:42 pm  · 
 · 

If he knows the facts he should say that the cases were closed with no disciplinary action in BOTH states. This was due to a fault of Angie's List. 

It was resolved at that time. 

If you paid attention to what I said in the first place instead of screwing up the facts, I said the category chosen was "Architects and Building Designers" which was appropriate. The issue is with Angie's List when they created the scripts for Local Guide section's auto-generated 'teaser pages'. Instead of listing the category name properly, they concatenated the title of the category which I had no direct control over. I have no direct control over the auto-generated teaser pages they listed in their Local Guide section. It isn't my job to program their website. When a category is listed: "Architects and Building Designer" or "Architect and Building Design", there shouldn't be any issue of Architects and Building Designers being listed in the same category.

Granted, I prefer the categories being separate categories. I still had enough information saying I am NOT an architect and I work on exempt buildings. However, they investigated and the matters were resolved after months of dealing with Angie's List's snail ass circle jerking. 

I almost had to reverse engineer their Local Guide section to figure out what the hell is going on.  It ultimately goes right back to their scripting. I even had the board's investigator (OBAE) Dale White log into my Angie's List account with a password I set for the temporary time being and he even notice a discrepancy in what my account shows in the profile and that of the Local Guide's autogenerated 'teaser pages' that are generated by some script of theirs. There was a serious flaw that I criticized them of. 

I didn't even know about the auto-generated scripted Local Guide's teaser pages until it was brought to my attention.

Long story short, it was ascertained to be Angie's List fault not my own as it is reasonable that a person who is listed under a category that the category title isn't changed or altered. 

Sep 30, 15 3:05 pm  · 
 · 

null pointer,

They do, now. There isn't a minimum employment duration.... per NCARB's rules. Maybe for your state but even then, the hours should qualify and be reported if they meet NCARB's rules as they may pursue license in another state.

I guess it comes down to the rules. You aren't suppose to be approving or disapproving hours based on your personal opinion meets IDP requirements but what meets it according to the current IDP rules.

Sep 30, 15 3:07 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I wasn't referring to how Angie's list classified you.

I was referring to how you classified yourself, on your own business application to your state, as offering "architectural services".  Here: http://records.sos.state.or.us/webdrawer/webdrawer.dll/webdrawer/rec/2527748/view/SOS%20-%20Corporation%20-%20Assumed%20Business%20Name%20Filing%20Records%20-%2083106790.PDF

Here too: http://records.sos.state.or.us/webdrawer/webdrawer.dll/webdrawer/rec/2527748/view/SOS%20-%20Corporation%20-%20Assumed%20Business%20Name%20Filing%20Records%20-%2083106790.PDF

Sep 30, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont, 

Actually, I wasn't investigated on that. It had more to do with the NAICS classification. 

I had modified it on the renewal form. It doesn't work that way. They get it easier by selling information between companies because as you noticed, it's a PDF. 

Yellow Pages or Angie's List doesn't get this info from there. They don't. Their auto-generated code gets it from the Angie's List database of those who have an account with Angie's List. 

It's easier data wise to get the data by SQL query when the data is in plain ASCII text in a form they can easily roll into their data through simple bot crawlers. 

It is easier to use the HTML generated splash pages. Companies sell information back and forth.

Sep 30, 15 3:18 pm  · 
 · 

BTW: You posted the same link, twice. BTW: I originally filed online. I filed by PDF the renewals which allowed it to be corrected adjusted.

Sep 30, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

Ok, here's another:  http://dor.wa.gov/content/doingbusiness/registermybusiness/BRD/default.aspx

Why are you classifying yourself under the code for architectural services?  There are several more appropriate categories.

In any case your license is expired in Washington, yet you're still advertising services there.  You're also advertised as a contractor in both Oregon and Washington, but you don't have a contractor license.

Sep 30, 15 3:30 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

Actually, my license is still active.

They suggested to wait until I reach a nexus in business before doing anything with the Department of Revenue. It doesn't stop me from engaging in business. It was because there was no revenue for tax purposes during the two years so they administratively close it. Of course, if there is more work involved in Washington, directly, then I would take care of the administrative procedures.

As for the category, Washington Department of Licensing classified the business to the NAICS code classification. NAICS code refers to 541310 which IS the most precise classification for building design services. I am not a drafting service. 

541310 Architectural Services

This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in planning and designing residential, institutional, leisure, commercial, and industrial buildings and structures by applying knowledge of design, construction procedures, zoning regulations, building codes, and building materials.

NAICS is federal industry classification. This classification is outside the scope and domain of state licensing laws as those licensing laws have no bearing on federal classification.

As a matter of fact, it was part of a complaint filed in Washington against me. They had dismissed that matter right from get go. It's a NAICS classification system that is used nationally by states and the Federal government. 

Your favorite choice would be

NAICS 541340 

541340 Drafting Services

This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in drawing detailed layouts, plans, and illustrations of buildings, structures, systems, or components from engineering and architectural specifications.

However, it may encompass a part of what I do but what I do as a business is more about designing and planning residential and light commercial buildings applying knowledge of  design, construction procedure, zoning regulation, building codes, and building materials. Sure, in the course of delivering services, I have to prepare detailed drawings, layouts, plans, and illustration of buildings, structures, systems, or components in accordance with design specifications. 

My business isn't about drafting someone elses designs and making construction documents like Chinese drafters and rendering services. My business is primarily involved in the design be it in remodels, renovations, new construction, additions, etc.

Sep 30, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You got a portfolio of built work?

Sep 30, 15 4:01 pm  · 
 · 

If I did, I don't have to show you.

Sep 30, 15 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I didn't ask you to show me.

If you don't, NAICS 541340 sounds exactly like where your services should be listed.

Sep 30, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

If someone else is fraudulently filing my business as a contractor through some sort of company, I will have an issue. I have not nor ever filed such. If there is some form of data selling or something, I like to know. If I have to put a police investigation together, someone is GOING to go to prison. Identify yourself and cease & desist any such actions.

If companies are selling data and generating these auto-generated teaser pages, there isn't really anything any person can do to stop it without putting suing these companies and sending their business owners to prison.

Sep 30, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

When you went through this last time you said that other building designers were registered under the Architectural Services NCAIS code, but when forum members checked the ones you named they were listed under the NCAIS code for "other specialized design services" - and then you said you were going to have yours amended.  Seems like that did not happen.

Sep 30, 15 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Sending them to prison? For a white collar crime (if that?)

Time to rethink that law degree...

Sep 30, 15 4:09 pm  · 
 · 

I think you can visit one of the projects. The ASOC Theater project is one.  There are residential clients where the work involved are remodels. Sometimes, the client didn't complete the project. One of the project is a project for a client that is funded by the VA. I won't tell you client names.

I don't organize these projects into a 'portfolio'. They are just separate projects. I don't have them in a fancy packaged together portfolio. 

There are also other structures as well.

Architect are still engaging in the industry of architecture, whether or not the client completes the project. There are tangible and non-tangible parts of delivering services in the industry. The tangible stuff is drafting. The non-tangible stuff is communication dialogue with clients about the project throughout the project. The same is true for building design work that I do. 

Sep 30, 15 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I seriously doubt there's anyone out there fraudulently advertising you except you.  It's a domino effect caused by all of your misclassifications and misrepresentations of yourself.  On local.com you're a "builder and general contractor".  On porch.com you're an "interior designer and contractor", and so on...

Sep 30, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

I did that with Oregon. Look at the filing:

http://records.sos.state.or.us/webdrawer/webdrawer.dll/webdrawer/rec/2865055/view/SOS%20-%20Corporation%20-%20Assumed%20Business%20Name%20Filing%20Records%20-%2083106790.PDF

As for the Washington State, that is assigned and categorized based on the description of the business. DOL chooses the NAICS classification because my services involves designing, zoning regulations, etc.

Businesses that falls into NAICS 541340 are:

http://www.q-cad.com/

http://www.boltcad.com/

http://www.cad-sourcing.com/

http://www.caddraftingsolutions.com/

Sure, some businesses can fit both categories and maybe double-categorized.

Sep 30, 15 4:29 pm  · 
 · 

I didn't create accounts at local.com or porch.com. I didn't create the accounts there. It looks more like they got their data to auto-generate a 'landing page' or sometimes called a teaser page or what not and place it in whatever damn category they feel. I'll take a look but when data from one company is sold to another, it is a bit problematic. I'm not wasting my time chasing after data mining bots and chinese f--- nuts. If there is anything I can do, I'll see what I can do but I am in business and it doesn't matter what my NAICS code classification and that is something I can't go chasing because if I did that, I would never get anything done remotely business wise.

Hell man, you could even find yourself in such a situation. It just takes being in business. 

Thank you for pointing those sites out. I don't have time looking all over the web to find where the data from one site is sold to another just like how you get spammers. Subscribe to a magazine and you can find yourself being categorized all over. I don't have time to chase ghosts.

Sep 30, 15 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
JBeaumont

I didn't suggest 541340 at all - you did.   I said: we went through this before.  You claimed that all the unlicensed building designers were assigned to the "architectural services" code in WA.  When you listed some names, it turned out they were all assigned to 541490-Other Specialized Design Services.  Then you said you were going to have it amended.

Sep 30, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Here's a solution: get a license.

Sep 30, 15 4:42 pm  · 
 · 

http://www.local.com/business/details/astoria-or/richard-wc-balkins-building-designer-125390629/

Hmm.... ok. I shouldn't be listed in contractors. It could just be dumbass search query because of how google search query functions. If you search - building contractor, in google without the quotes, it will list results that contains either the word building or contractor. So, yes, I could appear in such a search result. I'm not chasing that unless there is a specific landing page or something explicitly listing me as a general contractor or contractor.

https://porch.com/astoria-or/interior-designer/richard-w-c-balkins-building-designer/pp

There should be nothing listing me under contractor. As a matter of fact, I believe this was mentioned about and I actually had to create an account with them in order to claim the listing in order to change it. I have never listed myself as a general contractor so I see no reason why I should have been listed under those categories.

I didn't want to be listed as an Architect on that site so I chose Interior Design as it is a peripheral service of what I do or as any of us does.

Sep 30, 15 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

JBeaumont,

When Washington Architect Board investigator tells me not to worry about the NAICS code classification, why should I bother. They administratively dropped a complaint that someone actually made on that when they made the complaint about Angie's List. 

Some building designers may have described a bunch of other services they do. 

They closed the case with no disciplinary action on both factors. 

NAICS classification does not follow state laws whatsoever. The U.S. Census Bureau created the NAICS classification. 

The thing is, I don't offer architectural services to clients. I offer the services as building design services which under federal definition is one and the same because federal government doesn't have state licensing. They don't classify according to Washington, Oregon, California, Idaho, Nevada, Arizona or another state law. 

It's more an administrative classification for some sort of internal use.

Sep 30, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

Null pointer can we hijack this thread and start talking about Dynamo and Grasshopper plugins?

I'm beta testing Flux.io's interoperability software for working inbetween dynamo and grasshopper. definitely a ton of bugs but the dynamo to excel stuff works pretty well 

Sep 30, 15 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Can flux.io do NYC yet?

I know they were testing out massing automations for zoning in Austin...

Sep 30, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: