Archinect
anchor

3d Printing Materials Used by Architectural Firms

Bobby Lin

Hello everyone! I need your advice about 3d printing materials. I just recently started a 3d modelling and printing services to help Architect, Construction and Engineering firms designed their architectural models and prototypes for their projects. We specifically target those firms who have not grasp the concept of 3d designing and printing yet, or those firms who don't have enough 3d printing facility to print their 3d models. We designed the website to be user friendly and the architects can post their project for free and hire a qualified 3d designer to do their project. 

In connection to this, I would like to ask if what are the common 3d printing materials(Plastics, Alumide, ABS, Glass, etc) the architects used in designing and printing their 3d models? We are in the process of selecting 3d printing materials to offer for our 3d printing service and I would like to purchase first the one that is indemand for these industries.

Sep 13, 15 9:41 pm
jctiusanen

Hi Bobby Lin!

I'm sure you have already found your answer, but here's my input. After interviewing around 80 architects around the world that regularly use 3D printing, I found they use matte white exclusively. One brand of filaments popped up as a top choice for architectural purposes (Innofill3D). 

No shiny white filament, no yellowish white filament, ultra white and matte. It is a plus to print in special blends such as wood, metal and so on (but is not widely used).

Most architects usually print in PLA, but that's just from a user-friendly perspective. As you are the one offering the service, I guess ABS could be a better choice.

:) let me know how the printing service is going!

-JT

Feb 10, 17 4:37 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: