Archinect
anchor

What is Zen architecture?

capridex

Can somebody help me explain or give me a definition for this term? I know it originates from Buddhism and refers more to a kind of modern lifestyle - zen living. It's more popular is Japan and zen architecture can be a japanese kind of thing. But i'm not sure what exactly it is about.. can someone helps me please! thanks!

Jul 17, 11 4:17 am
stevenas135

Zen is about simply "being".  It is not so much a branch of philosophy, but a way of existing and accepting the presence of your consciousness.  It is about simplifying everything; the chaotic, entropic world of biological clutter and the inevitable tendency of randomness.  Its often equated with minimalism, and I believe that this is for a valid reason.  If we eliminate all unnecessary sensation from our lives, we can exist without any chemical addictions and then appreciate our naked essence.  Zen is not really modern though.  Its been around for a very long time and is rooted in traditional Japanese culture.  More recently, it has been adapted to the Californian, organic, free-trade, Prius-driving, pot smoking yuppie.

Jul 19, 11 5:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: