Archinect
anchor

what you can learn from design-build project in university?

Vendetta

Sorry, my English is not good, but I have some questions ,want to ask you pls.

As I understand, design - build project in school is mean  project that we  will design something such as small folly in order to study detail, material, joint  etc. and some projects can finish in 3-7 days

isnt it ??

but some universities allow students to do design-build project for their thesis,

so, my question is

1 what they can learn from design-build project ?

if I choose to design something for my thesis like -design resort, hotel, school... etc. I must spend my time to research about user's behavior / site analysis / find some concepts that relate to user or site/ relationship between function in order to make that project more interesting ,

but  if I choose to do design build project,build something and write something for thesis, the thing that I can learn from it, I think its quite construction management, engineer or material testing more than design? isnt it?

2 what is the school that expert or famous about design build? or pls recommend some books that I can study more about  design build...

Thank you very much

Sep 6, 15 11:48 am

Design-Build is very broad, especially in an academic context.  It can range from an individual doing a small folly or other full scale installation to a multi-year studio building a full project for a real client, with every permutation along that spectrum (and several more outside that spectrum, I'm sure).

This paper by W. Geoff Gjertson out of University of Louisiana at Lafayette (link below) may be a great starting place for you.  It takes a critical look at the academic design-build project.  It also lists many of the schools and programs that were surveyed for the paper, and you can start researching how each program approaches design-build.  It's limited to North America, but it can certainly be a starting point, and I'm sure the same concerns it raises apply elsewhere.

http://www.acsa-arch.org/docs/emails/house-divided.pdf

I'll also point out Universitat Stuttgart's Institute for Computational Design, because those pavilions are incredible.

Sep 6, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Vendetta

thank you very much!

Sep 7, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: