Archinect
anchor

UT austin, Berkeley, Cincinnati and University of Houston M.Arch program

jessmgg

Hello everyone! 

okay currently I am attending UTSA Architecture program and those are my now considering choices.

My Upperdivision GPA is 3.7  BUT with only 12 credits ( I read somewhere that they count 21 credits ) , I will be graduating this may 2016 but still doing my final studio in summer..  my Overall gpa is 2.9 and I am afraid i wont be taken into consideration because of this..

i am taking the GRE this week and i am also working in my portfolio ETC, everything should be ready by december, also I have a summer internship experience plus i am going to china for this semester ( internship counting as studio) and i am doing an Independent study over there..

Do you think if my portfolio is strong and with the Internship abroad and the independent study I could get a better chance to get in? I dont know if I should wait till next year! 

please any comments will help:)

Aug 23, 15 11:51 pm
SpatialSojourner

To be honest, a 2.9 is super low, I would not put any bets on UTSoA or Berkeley, chances are higher with Cinc and U of Houston. 

Aug 25, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Why is your GPA 2.9?

Aug 25, 15 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
jessmgg

because of my freshmen year, mostly core classes, I am A's in Studio and a few B's on Architecture classes

my other option is to wait till graduation when my overall gpa will be higher, but at this point is 2.96.

Aug 25, 15 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

You're in a tough spot. Berkeley, UT Austin, and Cincinnati are going to be very tough with that GPA. With few exceptions (for students with portfolios that are substantially better than their grades would suggest), the minimum GPA is usually 3.0.

The reason I ask is that you'll need to explain to these admissions committees a) why your GPA is lousy and b) what you plan to do differently in grad school. But you also need to take into account (and I don't mean for this to hurt your feelings) that UTSA is a very low-quality architecture program, and it's unlikely that you are prepared for the kind of intellectual rigor of the schools on your list. 

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't give it a try, you just might also consider some other programs as well.

Aug 27, 15 4:00 am  · 
 · 

I wouldn't dissuade you from applying to your top-pick schools even if you have a low GPA, especially if your bad grades are from non-architecture classes and if you've shown consistent improvement since then. It might be a good idea to briefly address the issue in your personal statement and explain how those grades aren't indicative of your overall academic ability. (This assumes your portfolio and other credentials are in decent shape.)

I was in a very similar situation when I applied to grad schools a few years ago, and I got accepted into four out of the six programs I applied to. That included Cincinnati, which was my top pick and where I ultimately ended up earning my MArch degree.

All that said, you should apply to at least one or two "safety" schools as well, places where you feel confident that you have a good shot of getting in. (Ironically, one of my "safety" picks was one of the two schools that rejected my application -- the other was GSD, no surprise -- so you never really know how these things will go.)

Aug 27, 15 9:00 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: