Archinect
anchor

Confusion while choosing universities

I have a B.Arch degree from Mumbai, India. I am looking to pursue M.arch professional degree with Sustainability concentration. My GRE score is 308 with AWA 4.0

I am having a hard time finding universities which have professional degree with sustainable design focus. So far, I found UT Austin and Caly Poly.

Rest all seem to have MS in sustainable design. I am not looking for MS. 

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Aug 17, 15 12:29 am
placebeyondthesplines

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Aug 17, 15 1:01 am  · 
 · 
mi_rrr

Which Cal Poly?

Aug 17, 15 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

This is because you are trying to do a professional degree, which by the nature of meeting accreditation criteria needs to be broad, not specific. Most larger programs are pretty flexible, and some schools have specific focuses within their criteria, but most are not going to explicitly label the programs as separate things as it just becomes limiting.

You might try to find schools that have reputations for being focused on sustainability, rather than looking for a program title.

?

Aug 18, 15 1:49 am  · 
 · 
archmpf

I have kind of a similar question as well. Have a B.Arch from India and I'm looking for NAAB accredited programs. I've seen that only the M. Arch 1 and 2 programs are accredited. So does that mean I cannot go for an MS Arch or any other variant if I someday decide to get a job in the US? I know some states don't require an accredited degree for licensure  but many of them do. Will not having an accredited degree affect me in the longer run as an international student?

Aug 18, 15 2:03 am  · 
 · 

university of Philadelphia has a strong sustainable design focus, this is on their website...

"Each of our programs emphasizes sustainable practice, collaboration and innovation. Sustainability is the key to the future of our environment. We are committed to ensuring that our graduates become-and remain-stewards of the natural and built environments."

Also Portland state University has a sustainable design oriented curriculum, however i agree with natematt if you want a specialty in sustainability that would be in a post professional degree.

Aug 18, 15 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Appy

@mi_rrr: Caly Poly, Pomona.

@natematt: Ok.. yes. I will do that.

@Roberto Rodriguez : Ok i will check those out. 

Thank you so much guys!!!

Aug 19, 15 10:28 pm  · 
 · 

stick to an accredited Master of Architecture Degree that has NAAB accreditation. NCARB has a nation wide system of testing and internship reporting that all states, territories and the District of Columbia recognize.  The best way to become NCARB certified is to have an NAAB degree. 

Aug 19, 15 11:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: