Archinect
anchor

WSDD?

null pointer

What Should Dick Balkins Do?

Discuss.

Aug 3, 15 4:58 pm
Wilma Buttfit

Be the best building designer he can be.

Express his thoughts more succinctly. 

I'm rooting for you Richard. 

Aug 3, 15 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

document exempt buildings

talk / write less

Aug 3, 15 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

R  !

i   !

C   !

H   !

A   !

R   !

D  !

R  I  C  H  A  R  D  !

!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Aug 3, 15 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Richard needs to get a job.

Aug 4, 15 7:16 am  · 
 · 

I'm getting pretty tired of all the Balkins bashing. Not as tired as Richard I'll bet. Lay off guys. 

Aug 4, 15 8:48 am  · 
 · 

Richard it may not appear so but you *do* have a large fan club here, as well, in addition to people who enjoy bashing you. You do you, man.

Aug 4, 15 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So, what happened here while I was away on vacation?

So much dick bashing action, I feel like I got off at the wrong bus stop on that part of town.

Aug 4, 15 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

I decided to help Richard move to the next level at my expense…chose him not the antagonizers, funny how that works.

Aug 4, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Carrera, that's pretty awesome of you.

Aug 4, 15 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

As I said before Richard can be annoying at times...

This thread is pathetic, says a lot more about you than it does Balkins.

Aug 4, 15 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I don't have any real advice, but I can share that I, like probably most people here, didn't go straight through school to licensure.  I took a break after getting a BS in Arch.  primarily because I was super burned out, but also because I had a decent job, unlike pretty much anyone else I knew. 

I had intended to either return to Detroit Mercy, or go to one of the coasts for the M.Arch.  Instead I got engaged and went to LTU because they're the only school with night classes (they also have online for those interested).  The classes there included a lot of "old guys" who were finally going back to finish the req. for NCARB. Some of these guys hard really interesting lives/experience and in many ways knew more than their teachers.  

I tell you this because I know that LTU for example is super expensive, but you wouldn't be alone in going back and would likely find a lt of people with similar experiences.

I graduated with just about 100k of debt total.  My original plan was to do income based repayment and pay taxes on whatever was left after 25 yrs, but instead I've paid more than 1/2 in the past couple years.  Once I'm licensed (stupid IDP!) I expect to both make far more and to pay off the remainder fairly easily.

Getting licensed is more about perseverance than anything else, just do it and be done!

Aug 4, 15 1:49 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

Balkins put himself out there by using his real name, something that I'm not willing to do for career reasons. It's pretty cowardly to be sniping at him anonymously. 

You can disagree with the guy in a thread, but posting this just makes you look like a dick, Null.

Aug 4, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Did we just conveniently forget about that point at which Balkins threatened to give me and a few other posters here a split lip and a black eye?

Aug 4, 15 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

But don't you have to be in-person? Some of the stuff that has been said in the past probably would have got you one but then again... think about it. However, I wouldn't necessarily give you or other posters a split lip and a black eye just for anything.

Think about it. I said, you be liable for getting one when you act like an prick. Now, do keep in mind that I do not have the habit of holding grudges, either. Not everything you said would be liable for a split lip and/or a black eye but think about what you say and how it would sound.

When people hide behind anonymous aliases, people tend to act like total jerks, assholes, pricks, etc. as if they can't be touched but that's a false assumption.

Aug 4, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Null, I think that came after the 23rd insult.

Aug 4, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 

Probably after a tad more than that.

Aug 4, 15 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

good for richard for having the balls to use his real name here. people hide behind aliases just like they do degrees and letters after their name.

Aug 4, 15 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Richard, what you post is authentic and thorough in a kind of stream of conscious way. Sometimes hard to follow, but I appreciate your openness. Hope you do find a faster way to acheive your professional goals.

Your resilience in the face of omnipresent vitriol is admirable. You'll do fine if you approach all your work with that unflinching resolve.

Aug 4, 15 7:31 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Balkins is great around here, I generally enjoy his post. I think people are just trying to get him going towards being an architect he probably has a lot of potential, but is getting up in years and has to get going.

Aug 4, 15 9:16 pm  · 
 · 

I think I have a way in getting there. 

Aug 4, 15 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

You don't need a license to get there.

Aug 4, 15 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
boy in a well

i dont have a dog in this fight and am not going to look for whatever prompted it.

this thread seems rather innocuous, frankly.

Aug 5, 15 1:44 am  · 
 · 

Carerra wrote:

"I decided to help Richard move to the next level at my expense…chose him not the antagonizers, funny how that works."

LOL... yep. 

Step by step we'll get there. 

jla-x, where are you at in your licensure process?

Aug 11, 15 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

why must you summon him null?

Aug 12, 15 7:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: