Archinect
anchor

MArch programs in Canada - Questions

Timshel

Hello everyone,

I hope y'all doing well. I have a couple of complicated issues at hand in regards to applying for a MArch program in Canada. I recently graduated with a double BA in the social sciences from a Canadian post-secondary institution. (The plan wasn't always to go into Architecture, sudden changes happened so now I have to adjust.)

My first issue is that I don't have a BArch and, after long nights of researching MArch programs, I realised that certain Canadian universities are out of question for particularly that reason. Now my options are down to UBC, UofT, University of Calgary, and Carleton.

The second problem is that just about every graduate program looks at the last couple of years worth of courses in terms of grades, and even though I had a phenomenal last year of studies, my third year could definitely be classified as a disaster.

The two things that I am most confident about are my art skills and my math/physics skills for whatever that is worth.

Based on that laconic description of my life and aspirations, I've got a few questions:

Do I have a chance for even having my case heard at universities such as McGill and Waterloo?  Should I focus on building an outstanding portfolio or should I look into upgrading courses in order to apply for the rest of the universities? Is there anything else I could do to be considered a competitive candidate?

I'm looking forward to your answers!

Jul 14, 15 1:55 pm
Non Sequitur

Timshel, the short answer regarding Waterloo and McGill is a solid "no". These are objectively the top two programs in the country and they require a BAS to apply.

Your best option would be to take on a M.Arch plus qualification year at UBC or UofT. You'll effectively be in accelerated design studios and technical courses until you're at the same level as those entering M.arch with a BAS. In regards to your grades, as long as you make the minimum cut, chances are they will look at your portfolio. Focus on building a great design portfolio. The two places I listed above since they have the largest entry classes and probably offer the greatest chance to get in.

Feel free to post portfolio drafts if you want feed back.

Jul 14, 15 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
Timshel

Hello Non Sequitur, thanks for the speedy reply!

McGill aside, my heart was set on Waterloo and I hoped that a year of design/architecture classes as an open studies student might give me a shot. One more question: what are the chances of transferring from one program to another after a foundation year? 

Jul 14, 15 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I've never heard of someone transferring - I've heard of people starting over from scratch (including a couple friends who left their first M.Arch after one semester).

Waterloo will not look at your application if you do not have a BAS or equivalent - they are strict on this. First part of their admissions process is sorting out all those who don't qualify (this includes 'architecture' undergrads from Ryerson, Toronto, OCAD). From what I understand McGill is the same.

Just a headsup - the Carleton 3.5 program only takes ~12 people and receives something like 500-600 applications.

You can also look at Dalhousie's program, which is only 1 semester longer and has 3 co-op terms included. Gets you a BEDS-Arch in 2 years, plus an M.Arch two years later, and only takes applications from those without previous architecture studies.

Jul 14, 15 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Timshel, Waterloo is the most selective in the graduate programs, and unfortunately, they rarely take students outside of their own undergrad pool. I should know, I was the first non-loo Canadian student to defend his master's thesis.  If you do have your heart on Waterloo, then I am sure you are aware the acceptance process involves an in-person interview. If you get that far, that's where you can plead your case. The admittance committee will then decide how many qualitative undergrad semesters you need to complete before starting your Master's. Somewhere between 2 to 5 if the norm I've seen. Also, the school runs 3 semesters per year without summer breaks.

Transferring between schools is not something I've ever heard possible. A M.arch is part course load, part design studio and full-time thesis. It's hard to imagine a student moving on to another institution and changing supervisors. It's a different education framework unlike most other degrees.

The above is not to discourage you. Perhaps you should try and make an appointment with the admittance/graduate advisers at Loo and see how good your chances are. They might have changed their process since I left.

A quick glance at the school's graduate website and turns out they might have loosen the gates: https://uwaterloo.ca/architecture/graduate-admissions

"All other applicants will be considered for the full two-year program and be admitted into the first year of the MArch. These students will complete one year of coursework before embarking on the MArch thesis."

I am sad. This graduate page used to display one of my hand models...

Jul 14, 15 9:07 pm  · 
 · 
Timshel

Bench, thanks for the heads up about Carleton, I wasn't aware of this complication. In regards to Dalhousie - I was under the impression that its program isn't open to degree-holding/transfer students? Is it truly only four years in that case and, if so, is it as competitive as elsewhere?

Non Sequitur, thanks for all the information. I should admit, I do feel slightly discouraged; Waterloo was my number one choice, followed by UBC, UofT, and UofC. Having said that, I will still probably go for it (trying never hurts after all).

In your experience, is the grad committee looking for something in particular in terms of the portfolio? For instance, I was told that drawing/painting skills are more important than, say, graphic design or photography. Or that even the type of art, i.e. abstract versus realistic plays big role as well.

I inquired about transferring simply because some grad programs allow transferring on a case by case basis. (In the social sciences admittedly, but still not totally impossible.)

Jul 14, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Timshel, honestly, I don't know how someone without a design-related portfolio/background can get into waterloo. You'll need to demonstrate more than an ability to draw or paint. That's a given. What's more important is how your skills can translate to the design of buildings and spaces. There needs to be depth to your portfolio and not just a series of static imagery. You need to convince them that you master communication through scale, colour/shades and proportions... basically all the things they teach in 1st year undergrad. What you won't have are studio projects demonstrating design skills and zero technical knowledge of building systems and structure. Waterloo undergrads have this, plus much more, down-pat by the time they arrive for their masters. This is the field you need to compete against.

From what I recall, successful applicants had a mix of abstract/expression works as well as sculptures, models, and other extra curricular skills. Song-writing, signing, piano playing are but a few examples of some non canon portfolio entries.  One thing I've always cautioned applicants: Don't add photography unless you've actually received real awards and publication praise. Everyone with a DSLR thinks themselves a photographer. Exclude any "high-school" work as well.

Apply and try to see how far you can get but don't put all your hopes in the one school. Competition at loo is fierce and you'll quickly get eaten alive in that environment. UofT and UBC are better suited for someone in your situation. More open to new-comers and have the course-load to ease into the degree instead of throwing you to the wolves.

I'll second Bench's comment on Carleton. Since the introduction of their PHD 2 years ago, competition from non-BAS students has grown. and many Americans are now turning to Canada for an alternative graduate degree.

Hope this helps. If you're in the Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge area, try and visit the school and speak to some of the faculty. You might get lucky and catch someone on one of their generous days.

Jul 14, 15 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
Timshel

Non Sequitur, I find all these details extremely helpful to know, for which I thank you. I absolutely understand that the chances are slim at the moment. I wanted to get a sense of whether applicants who have taken alternative routes have any hope at all or if they should dedicate their time and effort into getting elsewhere. (Mission accomplished, things are much clearer now.)

In any case, thanks again!

Jul 15, 15 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

No problem and good luck.

Jul 15, 15 8:26 am  · 
 · 
think.arch

Bench 

"First part of their admissions process is sorting out all those who don't qualify (this includes 'architecture' undergrads from Ryerson, Toronto, OCAD)" 

Just so we are not spreading any misinformation Ryerson's degrees are accredited by the CACB. Meaning the undergraduate degree is considered a pre-professional degree and is accepted by all M.Arch programs in Canada. At schools such as UofT or UBC, Ryerson undergraduates can apply for advance standing positions. Also there are several Ryerson undergrads that are pursuing their masters degrees at Waterloo and McGill.

This ACSA website is a great resource for information if you're looking to compare all accredited Canadian Bachelor and Master degrees. Might be helpful for you Timshel.

https://www.acsa-arch.org/resources/data-resources/canadian-schools 

Jul 15, 15 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Think.arch is correct, you can apply to a M.arch with a Ryerson bachelors... but Bench is also correct in that Loo admissions will still hold Ryerson grads to the same standards as their own undergraduate students meaning that many will need to complete some-sort of qualifying studio/courses. Not all pre-professional degrees are the same and given that Loo has ample choice in candidates, they can afford to be selective.

but Ryerson is not the subject here.

Jul 15, 15 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Thats fine - I know Ryerson is trying to improve their program heavily in recent years. My comment simply comes from my first-hand experience when I was going through the process of applying to M.Arch programs in 2012-2013. I was told explicitly by members of the admissions committee at Waterloo during my application meetings/interviews that they only accepted applications from specific undergraduate architecture programs; my comment accurately describes what I was told at that time. Again, its been 3 years, so that could well have changed.

Timshel, I think you need to have a frank discussion with any of the graduate administrators at UW - give them a call, they are quite approachable. They are very up front about who can apply and who can't; its actually quite refreshing how blunt they can be on the subject. As much as you want to attend there, the portfolio you're describing is in line with the applicants they get for the undergraduate program - not their M.Arch program. Waterloo also runs a very particular setup for their thesis from what I understand, with initial/preliminary research coming up very early compared to other programs.

Jul 15, 15 11:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: