Archinect
anchor

MIT graduate program | SMArchS Thesis

international_applicant

Hello dear fellow architects!

I ve recently graduated from a Greek University and here at the final year of our 5 year program we had to submit a research diploma thesis (9th semester) and a design diploma thesis (10th semester).

I am planning on applying to MIT SMArchS graduate program for the academic year 2016/2017. While checking the program's admission requirements I checked that there is a thesis (4.THG.) during the 4th semester. The question is the following:

The thesis is a research based topic you are about to explore and write about or is it a studio based design project called thesis.

Thank you in advance

Jun 18, 15 1:15 pm
kickrocks

Why don't you just email the program and get a direct answer? It's not like they charge you for a simple question. 

Jun 18, 15 3:13 pm  · 
 · 
alrightalright

most likely the former.. a good thesis should never be the latter. i would also imagine at that level you are expected to entirely dictate the direction of your thesis independently.. if this seems too challenging or off-putting, i would reconsider applying. 

Jun 18, 15 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
international_applicant

#kickrocks Of course I will email them. I just thought I could get the indisde story! :)

#alrightalright That's what I thought too

Thank you both for your answers!

Any MIT SMArchS current students or recent graduates?

Jun 19, 15 6:19 am  · 
 · 
cubicfeet

yes, it's a research thesis. Email Cynthia Stewart (stewart@mit.edu) with any questions about the program; she's a great resource and a fabulous human being.

Jun 22, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 
international_applicant

thank you very much for your info #cubicfeet

Jun 22, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: