Archinect
anchor

Advice on M.Arch I Decision

Hello everyone,

I'm (urgently) looking for some insight and opinions. It's a long post, so please bear with me. Originally from Canada, I graduated with a Bachelor of Interior Design last year, and over the summer took the Intro to Architecture course at Columbia University. I loved every minute of it. That pushed me into applying to do my Master of Architecture. Soon afterwards, I got notified that 3 out of the 4 schools I applied to, I got rejected. I got wait-listed for the school I wanted most and that's really all I could ask for at that moment.

When I went back to Canada after that summer, I was working in an interior design firm. I loved everything I did in school, but I didn't feel content with what I was doing at work. Some people told me that working-wise, interior design is similar to architecture as in the process it goes through to construct a space/building, but obviously architects get to deal with a bigger scope. At that point, with the rejections and my dissatisfaction with interior design, I felt like I lost some of the passion I had for architecture.

That was when I started to develop an interest in interaction design/web design/ app design, etc.  I was thrilled to get into this field and I could really see myself enjoying it. However, shortly after, I heard back from Columbia University and they were offering me a spot in their M.Arch I program.

At that point I was torn, because GSAPP was what I always wanted, and finally the opportunity was here but I didn't feel the same about architecture anymore. I admire architecture, but am not sure if I'm meant to do it. At the same time I don't want to give up the opportunity because it's an Ivy League school, in New York where I really want to be, and coming out I know I'll have great connections (and career opportunities). But is the price tag worth the prestige (I can afford it, but not easily)? Is architecture a dying profession? Would I have a better career working in the tech industry? 

I'm also afraid that 3 years later, it will be a rerun of what I went through with interior design. I'll love the education, but I won't love what I'm doing in the field. To your understanding and experiences, what would be the best option? Thank you!

Jun 10, 15 11:47 am
ivorykeyboard

>That was when I started to develop an interest in interaction design/web design/ app >design, etc.  I was thrilled to get into this field and I could really see myself enjoying it. >However, shortly after, I heard back from Columbia University and they were offering me a >spot in their M.Arch I program

If you enjoyed what you were doing, why bankrupt yourself for prestige? I wouldn't judge two whole professions from an experience at one design firm... not sure of the exact process you were exposed to, but there's a chance it was just a bad firm. I would think hard about saddling yourself with a ton of debt in a field that you may or may not be interested in. I was absolutely sure I wanted to pursue architecture, but I similarly had tough decision between prestige vrs. full ride. This is not a profession where you can support yourself in NYC with an entry level position, plus $800 dollars a month in debt. Unless you got mom and dad monies. In which case, knock yourself out.

I wouldn't ask the question "is architecture a dying profession" in this forum... youre going to open a can of worms (cue pithy remark from Miles). 

Jun 10, 15 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
kickrocks

That was when I started to develop an interest in interaction design/web design/ app design, etc.  I was thrilled to get into this field and I could really see myself enjoying it.

You might want to look into this instead. Should be much cheaper to go through and you can still end up doing some "architectural" stuff somewhere. Any other profession will let you dabble around in architecture but without the daily grind or the debt you will incur. Befriend a few and that should be enough to keep you closer in.

Since you don't seem to like the actual work in this field and prefer the academic glossing-over-reality bubble, take the early hint that after school it won't be better. Not many people heed the siren call. 

Jun 10, 15 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: