Archinect
anchor

M. Arch Outside the USA & Canada?

AzevedoJP

Archinect Universe,

My wife would like to study to become an architect.  This would be a career switch and the pursuit of a dream .  She is 30 years old and holds a B.A. in International Affairs from a US University.  In our initial research it looks like the path to take is to enter an M Arch program at a US or Canadian University.  Most programs are 3 years.

Are there any other routes, particularly outside of the US?  For example, I'm wondering if any universities in Europe, South America, Oceania offer M Arch programs in English?  I ask because most programs in the USA are very expensive and would require us to take on educational debt.

Any and all guidance is much appreciated!

Jun 3, 15 11:39 am
Non Sequitur

Canadian tuition is a fraction of the US's... even more if you're a resident of Quebec.

Besides that, you need an accredited degree to begin the path to license in either Canada or the US. Where she wants to eventually work and pursue IDP will matter in how you choose a graduate program. Not all programs are treated equally and many foreign-trained applicants need to have their education verified, with no guarantee of success.

3 years is standard for a M.arch without a bachelor's in architecture. There are no short-cuts.

Jun 3, 15 11:55 am  · 
 · 
AzevedoJP

Thanks for the reply, Non Sequitur.  Do you know of any 3-3.5 year M.Arch programs outside of the US and Canada?

Jun 3, 15 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Azevedo, is your wife looking to eventually work and be licensed in either the US or Canada? If so, the list of acceptable foreign M.arch degrees is short.

If working in North America is your wife's future, here is where to start for accredited schools:

http://www.naab.org/architecture_programs/home

If you plan on working elsewhere, then accreditation is irrelevant as local laws regarding who can and cannot practice architecture differ greatly.

Jun 3, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Just want to say that it's not an insanely huge deal to get your foreign m.arch accredited. I studied at KA in Copenhagen and while it was a pain to do all the paperwork, the degree has been accredited by CACB. My master's program was 2 years instead of Canada's 3-3.5 yr. Saved a lot of time and money doing it in Europe. 

Jun 3, 15 3:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: