Archinect
anchor

SCI-Arc debt?

XP Count

Hi everyone,

I know there's a crap load of posts like these; but I got accepted to SCI-Arc and I'm wondering how much debt people got attending this school. I'm kind of torn because Sci-Arc was my top 1 school to go to, but knowing that each year will cost $50,000 is ridiculous. I'm not surprised if people have made $200,000 in debt!. 

I graduated with an AS in Architecture, and jobs are coming to me left and right; I'm not sure if I should just decline Sci-Arcs acceptance and just apply to Pomona / SLO then go to Sci-Arc for at least the 1 year program. Architecture is something I know I will do throughout my life; I'm not sure if the investment is going to be worth it though, even though I badly want to go to this school. Have anyone went through SCI-Arc and regretted the debt? or vice-versa?

Jun 2, 15 7:02 pm
kickrocks

If you're getting no funding, reject it. If they want you that badly, they'd offer some cash but seeing as you seem to getting zero, take the hint.

Everyone regrets debt unless they have no conception of adulthood post-school or have some rich benefactor paying it. This is not the good kind of debt. Work a few years first, employers clearly want you now. Then consider school when you have a lot more leverage.

Jun 2, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
XP Count

You're right. I still yet to get my award letter since that will really give me the decision whether to go or not. 

I have the option to "hold" my seat for a year, meaning I can come in next year instead; but I still have to pay $500 for that -_-. ($500 acceptance fee to get in). Not sure if I should do that or just decline and reapply later. 

Jun 2, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
Archinect
kickrocks

Apply again later. Sci-Arc will always be there and it'll cost the same or more factoring in inflation. Make them want you more to offer generous funding and then reassess the burden of debt. Much of what you might gain money-wise out of school will more or less go towards paying off the absurd entry fee.

Jun 2, 15 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

Don't take on the debt. No reform is coming unless people stop taking out the huge debt to pay for school. If you can get your degree another way, or as you say do 1 year there, do it. Do anything to minimize the debt, as its a long road to pay it back. While you are making rent/mortgage size payments on that its hard to buy a car, buy a house, start a business, etc. I would say work for a while, do interesting side projects, then look into it again in a couple of years

Jun 2, 15 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
XP Count

You guys are right. I think I'll take the year off to think about it; this will also give me the time to apply for SLO & Pomona. I can also maybe check how much I can save this year to further my flexibility in my financial decisions. 

I'm still waiting for USC acceptance letter; this may skew my decision as well, but I know USC offers more financial help + there are great networks in this school.

There are decisions that makes me not want to go to Pomona or SLO though. It's that I already have projects in the South Bay beach areas that I am working on. 

For Architecture, do you guys recommend to get the BA Asap? or really go on your own pace? lately I've been feeling a little rushy to get a BA at the very least, since I know an AS almost means nothing?

Jun 2, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: