Archinect
anchor

How to pursue M.Arch degree after a non-related Bachelors degree?

Hello

I am engineering graduate from NTU, Singapore and currently working in the software industry.

As part of my summer internships experience, I got the opportunity to work alongside architecture and engineering consultants for buildings. It sparked my interest in architecture.

I am extemely interested in pursuing a masters in architecture in a good school in the Us in two years or so. i am aware of school offering M.Arch course for students from non-related backgorund.

However, I have some queries regarding this:

1. Is it possible to get into the top 10/20 schools in the US for MArch course from a non-related UG degree?

2. What requirements do they look out for? What are their portfolio requirements?

3.Do GRE scores play a vital role? Is it necessary to get recommendations from people in the related field?

4. Also, does you work line matter? 

I think I am on the artistic side.I love to sketch, make handicrafts, photography and I have actively involved in design clubs. 

I would love if I could get some inputs on this. Thanks a bunch :)

Apr 27, 15 2:12 am
Lian Chikako Chang

In short, yes, it's very possible. A background in engineering and software combined with some artistic interests will be a big advantage and will get you into top schools, if your grades and everything else are OK. Each school weighs and judges their requirements differently, but in general your letters of recommendation should come from the people who know you best--not necessarily from people in architecture.

Apr 27, 15 11:14 am  · 
 · 
Dikshita

Hi Lain, thank you so much for the positive reply :). How about the portfolio requirements? What is expected? 

Apr 27, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

Generally, portfolio expectations are relative to the program's requirements and your background. You will of course apply for programs that don't require an undergraduate degree in architecture. From applicants without prior education in architecture, programs generally don't expect/care if you have "building designs" in your portfolio, but you do have to be able to show that you can think visually and express your ideas and work (from engineering, art, whatever) in graphic format. 

This varies tremendously by school, though!

Apr 27, 15 7:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: