Archinect
anchor

M.arch at [ Ohio st, Cincinnati or SAIC ] ?

roman_architec

Hi I am a graduated student  (will be this may)  from a Bachelors degree in Environmental Design.

I already apply for graduate school i united states, to do the Master degree in architecture.

I apply to 6 schools and this was my result (he order is from my top choice to my least favorite):

-GSD: out

-UCB: out

-UIC: out

-SAIC: in

-Cincinnati: in

-Ohio st: in

As this results go, I was more than disappointed to be rejected from my 3 top choices. However I never hated the other 3, or I wouldn't apply to them.

The bottom line is that:
SAIC: I always liked SAIC because of Chicago. and they ended up giving me a good scholarship for the M.arch 2 (2 years)

Cincinnati: Cincinnati was on my choices because they where top near other Ivy leagues schools and have the co-op program which seems nice. However they put me in M.arch 1, which is 3 year + one more year of co-op = which in total is 4 years (seems too much)

Ohio state: same as Cincinnati, they are solid and well-known program around the country. The problem is that they offer me the M.arch 1 which is  the 3 year placement.

NOW: in terms of money i know I should go to SAIC, since their scholarship makes them cheaper than both Cincinnati and Ohio st. However I feel like the master of architecture in SAIC is not that known since its newer and.. my dilema si if I should make a decision toward the money or thinking about which program will be better for me in terms of: preparing my for the future. I feel that Ohio St. may seems like a "balance" between Cincinnati and SAIC but not in terms of money..What do you guys think?  

You may think the answer is obvious but for every issue I find a different answer:
cheaper: saic
The city: saic since its chicago
top school (well known): both in ohio
More solid programs: both in ohio

what do you think?

Apr 24, 15 8:38 pm
SpatialSojourner

Go where you would feel you'll have the best learning experience, the name of the school only gets you so far.  The portfolio that you put together of your work is what will get you jobs.  

Apr 24, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 

I'm a Cincinnati grad so I obviously have a bias, but don't discount the learning and networking opportunities that come from the co-op program. In addition to gaining valuable experience while you're in school, many students (myself included) have gone on to work for their co-op employers after graduation. These include many firms that would be very difficult to get in to without the co-op connection, and upon graduation you'll already have a year of experience compared to grads from other schools.

Also, not sure if this changes the financial equation or not, but keep in mind that Ohio is one of the few states that allows students to apply for in-state tuition rates after your first year.

Apr 25, 15 9:05 am  · 
 · 
Driko
Ohio state, the lecture series and faculty seems impressive.
Apr 25, 15 9:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: