Archinect
anchor

Dissertation Topics for Architecture (Game/Movie)

sydniemeowpaws

I'm currently working on the brief for my dissertation topic. I have chosen to focus on the big topic of either "Architecture and Gaming" or "Architecture and Movie".

Here is a list of ideas I have in mind:

* 3D modeling softwares

*visualization of movie imagery (Lord of the Rings and etc)

*how digital modeling assists people's appreciation of what they see in game/ movie? (Final Fantasy/ Counter-Strike etc)

*Minecraft & architecture (Toying with construction)

Any suggestions that can help me narrow down the topic/ provide primary sources of research would be useful, thanks!

Apr 22, 15 9:54 pm
unonia

As to me the theame *how digital modeling assists people's appreciation of what they see in game/ movie(Final Fantasy/ Counter-Strike etc)"  sounds  the most scientifically. Here might be described influence of color and shape on humans perception. You should connect the results with recomendations on how to model for getting some kind of affect on human, etc.

In general, each of these themes could work for dissertation. The main purpose of the dissertation is solvation of any existing problem in your field of study. So if each one from your list consisit it  - I personaly would select the third. 

Apr 24, 15 1:52 am  · 
 · 

I would think third with minor wordage tweak. change "game/movies" to "movies and video games". In fact you can build something comprehensive. I wouldn't say it sounds more 'scientifically' as much as it sounds more like a RESEARCH TOPIC 'thesis' sentence. 

However, You will want to define this a bit more and flesh out a paragraph and what exactly the research is and define to scope because if you get too general and open, the scope can be such that you'll never be able to complete it and do so thoroughly without leaving too much open. Remember, you will want to properly cover all parts you introduce and bring into the topic.  A topic that is wide with lots of content to research is great but you'll need to properly scope it so you can fulfill it and even reduce scope as you see incrementally. 

Remember, the third in the list encompasses 3d modeling software and visualization of movie and video game imagery but they themselves are not a thesis statement. The third one is close but you'll want to develop that statement into maybe two to three sentence thesis statement. Frame a short paragraph on what this is. Develop a sort of annotated outline. 

Ultimately, what is the question you want to answer in the thesis. If it is a research dissertation, you are trying to answer a question... hypothesis with a closing thesis at the end because the point of research is to discover an answer to your question that you begin the research used in writing a dissertation and then frame it.

I hope these points help. Right now, the question is still bland. Here is a critique question assuming the third choice:

What about it ? What are you wanting to know about how digital modeling assisting people's appreciation of what they see in video games and movies? How does it shape the experience of the viewer of a movie or player of a video game. How are they affected? Is there substantiated evidence and research that you can use to support your arguments? At this time, you should be gathering material to research. This can also redefine exactly what the thesis question is precisely. 

Be careful with the phrase "people's appreciation". This can be subjective and that in research dissertation is a slippery slope. Can you objectively define the question. You might have to dig for the right wordage. 

Are you willing to collect data sampling? I mean interview or survey people. This means you may have to follow human subject rules of your university ?

Remember, you should not include yourself in the data sampling or rely on your own self because each person has his/her own unique psychological framework and respond accordingly.

Good luck. You got a potential topic.

Apr 24, 15 2:54 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: