Archinect
anchor

CAN THE STEEL TUBES OF DIFFERENT SIZES BE USED TOGETHER?

kalpana_gupta

So, i am designing a stadia and wanted to put steel structures in use. Since my plan is circular, i wanted my inner exposed columns (towards the play arena) to be circular where as i wanted to keep the columns in between (where the walls are) to be square and then on the outer side to be again circular.
I just wanted to know weather that is possible, using different types of structural tubes in different areas.

Apr 22, 15 2:17 pm
TIQM

Yes, it's certainly possible.

Apr 22, 15 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

the square ones are tubes.  the round ones are pipes.

Apr 22, 15 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

It's common practice, doesn't make sense to oversize columns so they are all the same

Apr 22, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
jeiffert

It's acceptable to refer to the round ones as tubes when used structurally.

Generally, pipes are vessels.

Apr 22, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

http://collections.lacma.org/sites/default/files/remote_images/piction/ma-31824080-WEB.jpg

Apr 22, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Yes they can but you should know what you are doing and using them appropriately. 

You have to make sure the connections are done appropriately. 

If they are round they are called "Pipe Column" while a square tube would be called "Tube columns" Note the word 'columns' being used because it denotes a structural member.

Just calling it a pipe may mean something also like a water pipe. So for structural use the word 'column' or possibly beam but you wouldn't use a pipe member for beams.... at least not that I seen such be used that way.

Apr 22, 15 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
kalpana_gupta

glad to know that they can be used but i was wondering since it is a stadia m applying it to, how are the connections to the columns is made? as when i build a column we determine the tibutary area and the height of the column and then choose the column. but when we are talking about the rows of seating in stadia, each column (when going back) will have different height. how do we determine the tributary area ? 

Apr 22, 15 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

hire an engineer

Apr 22, 15 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Ha! NS! Excellent. I LOL'd.
Apr 22, 15 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Ask any one what a pipe is in Colorado....let alone a "pipe column" and their eyes will gloss over....

Apr 22, 15 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

tube steel. and yes, hire an engineer if you need accurate structural dimensions, school is not for that anyway.

Apr 22, 15 7:19 pm  · 
 · 
kalpana_gupta

Thnxx everyone. 

Apr 22, 15 9:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: