Archinect
anchor

UCLA vs Michigan MArch

opdich

Hi all,

I'm having trouble choosing between UCLA and Michigan for graduate school. I'm wondering if anyone here has any opinions on the two schools.

Given that I do not already have an undergraduate degree in architecture, both programs are three years long and comparable in many ways. They both have great professors and a wide range of specialties.

It seems like Michigan has a more interesting program with overall better facilities, geared towards fabrication.

On the other hand, UCLA grads tend to go on to work for more interesting firms. UCLA also seems to produce a lot of professors and I would certainly like to go into academia.

It's a tough (but good) decision as both schools are very good. I would certainly appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Apr 5, 15 12:11 am
Driko
Where do you want to work when your done?

The cost of living is more in LA than Ann Arbor so I would consider that. I would also say that ucla is par to Michigan. Anyone correct me if I'm worng.

Either choice is great and congrats on your acceptans. It's three years and with the connections you will make at either school I'm sure you will end up at a pretty good firm
Apr 5, 15 12:19 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I went to Michigan but live/work in LA now. My perception of UCLA is that it’s more in line with the other west coast schools, interested in form and experimentation. Michigan is more research oriented, but at the same time it’s still got some of the same spirt, it’s a good balance. It seems like Michigan has a better reputation for its grad program and UCLA has a better reputation for its undergrad, but they are both reputable schools.

I’m curious what you would consider an interesting firm. I know people from Michigan in just about every big name firm in the US and some crazy little ones. I think the percentage of people who get local jobs at each is much higher at UCLA, and the market is much better/more interesting in SoCal, so that is a valid criticism.

I don’t think either has a real advantage for teaching.

Apr 5, 15 2:58 am  · 
 · 
ROB4

UCLA for sure is more well known for its comprehensive grad program. Its undergrad program just started recently and has previously been an all grad program.  Not sure what Natematt is talking about. The grad students dont even share studio space nor classes with undergrads in the architecture program. 

UCLA has no thesis, and it replaces it with a year long research studio. The research depends on the professor, and allows room for exploration within the topic. The school has great faculty if not the best, and they produce alot of professors out of there. 

The one thing I would say is quarter system vs semester system. At UCLA you will get 9 studio projects and an extra research studio out of three years.  The tempo may be faster but the quality of work is just on par if not better than the best schools out there. 

Ultimately its fairly close, but I think UCLA edges out Michigan. UCLA is in a hot architectural community(LA), and surrounded by alot of firms, with which they may have alot of connections through alumni.  

Good Luck 

Apr 5, 15 3:25 am  · 
 · 
natematt

Sorry, I realize I was thinking of USC’s undergrad program, which has a really good reputation despite a less admired grad program. You are right, UCLA is not known for its undergrad program. I still maintain that Michigan is typically seen as a better grad school, but I don’t think the difference is very significant, and your points about the faculty and community are spot on. The faculty at UCLA are very well known and respected, and LA is a big market for architecture. (From a standpoint of place, I’d rather live in Ann Arbor , but I moved to LA because the market is so much better)

Apr 5, 15 4:13 am  · 
 · 
opdich

I really appreciate the comments. They certainly echo my research and experiences. As for what I consider "interesting," I feel like the boutique style firms are more appealing than the large corporate ones, however, I am open to anything as long as I am challenged, my abilities are utilized and I am happy doing what I do.

Apr 5, 15 4:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: