Archinect
anchor

Opinions Wanted! Debating between an M. Arch at UT Austin or Rice

Keegan.Hebert

After months of anticipation, I was recently accepted to the M. Arch programs at several programs, but, after weighing the pros and cons of finances, UT and Rice are my finalists.  Can those more knowledgeable of both the student work and the perception of the programs please provide insight?!  Thank you in advance!

+Both schools offered advanced placement.

+Both programs would be 2 - 2.5 years. 

+Both programs offered scholarships.  Would also cost $10,000 - $15,000 a year.

Apr 2, 15 1:38 pm
jessmgg

I would love to go to UT but people say if you can go to RISE, I dont have much knowledge about it,

please let me know what do you decide and why:)

also if you can give me tips about how do you got accepted would be great, I am applying next year!

Apr 4, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
decmo

Hi, I am at Rice and considered UT as my other final choice. From what I know about UT, they are on different ends of the spectrum. Rice was a great fit for me because I was attracted to the super-small school environment and the advantages that that size has to offer. UT is a huge school and the architecture school is large. At Rice, a lot of guidance and one-on-one time with faculty is available to you, with good opportunities for mentorship or research. The professors and visitors are just very accessible, and the community overall is small so everyone gets to know each other. I believe the academic slant of the two schools is also very different--Rice is very strong in the integration of theory and history. We have really knowledgeable faculty who teach some really great, small seminars which makes for rigorous study of theory, and that is emphasized as a way of positioning your design work. So overall, obviously at any school there is flexibility for you to take on whatever it is that interests you, but I would consider how these factors play into what kind of learning environment you want. These strengths at Rice were a huge draw for me. Finally, I know UT is well endowed but in my experience, beyond the half tuition scholarship, Rice is good about providing financial resources if you need it once you are here. I've been able to get additional funding before, plus there is an extensive amount of awards and travel grants given out each year that almost every student takes advantage of at least once. 

Hope this helps!

Apr 6, 15 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
Oonaknuj

I am also making this decision for the 3.5 year M. Arch 1 program. One of the things I like more about the UT Austin program is that it offers some options for interdisciplinary study and collaboration with other design fields. Can someone from Rice speak to whether they felt like they were getting an interdisciplinary or diverse education at the program? 

And maybe can someone from UT Austin throw in their 2 cents about their experience?

OP: did you make your decision yet? 

Apr 10, 15 6:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: