Archinect
anchor

reasonable price for Zumthor's "Thinking Architecture"

dzumths

a friend of mine will be auctioning an original copy of 'thinking architecture' in a week or two on ebay... i wish i could buy it, but he is mostly interested in seeing how much it's worth... anyone interested should check it out.

Jun 2, 05 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
crillywazzy

according to amazon, this will be reprinted by birkhauser this month for $26.00 along with another zumthor book.

Dec 5, 05 2:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i'll sell both for $10,000

Dec 5, 05 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
ochona

"works" was until this november THE most expensive book i had ever purchased. $125 retail at prairie ave. in december 2000 -- turns out it was a better investment than real estate

Dec 5, 05 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
ether

just in case you want a 1st ed, here's one for $3100.

Dec 5, 05 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
tsq

Might be wise to hold off paying any of those prices; from Birkhauser's website:

Thinking Architecture
Zumthor, Peter
2nd ed., 2006, Approx. 80 p.14 in colour., Hardcover
ISBN: 3-7643-7497-7

Due: December 2005

It's listed for sale on amazon.co.uk at £19.00 stg + £1.99 sourcing fee, usually dispatched in 4 to 6 weeks. Although if Birkhauser are on the ball & have it printed they should make it available before Christmas.

Dec 5, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
Schnurrbart

I did go and visit many of Zumthor's building this past summer - the spa in Vals is the best building I have ever experienced. I can't see any book do it justice.

Dec 5, 05 9:57 pm  · 
 · 
melivt

the 2nd ed. thinking architecture is not in english... just a warning

Dec 6, 05 11:07 am  · 
 · 
AP

WHAT?!?!?!

Dec 6, 05 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

Amazon has a $26.40 Hardcover edition in English to be released this month..:

Hardcover: 80 pages
Publisher: Birkhauser; 2 edition (December, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN: 3764374977

Dec 6, 05 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i'll sell my 1st ed. for $3000...its a steal

Dec 6, 05 12:29 pm  · 
 · 
rayray

and what's the other title coming out this month?
Atmospheres : Built Surroundings - the Things Around Us

seems to be a new book

Dec 6, 05 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

what is zumthor up to these days...besides selling his books on ebay

Dec 6, 05 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

spoke with a contact at princeton architectural press (the us distributor of birkhauser) - both books will be in english. amazon's web page is screwed up. they're aware of it and are trying to get it fixed.

atmospheres is a totally new book. sounded a little bit like 'minimum' from john pawson a while back - a kind of photographic essay.

the reprint on 'thinking' will have the same cover, but look totally different inside. it has some additional essays and is in color.

Dec 6, 05 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
g-love

oh, and no matter what amazon says, they quoted that both books will be released at the same time, approximately end of january/beginning of february. and, it's a larger print run this time...

Dec 6, 05 3:30 pm  · 
 · 
Magon

I bought Works for my girlfriend i dec. 2005. I found the hardcover on amazon.co.uk for £67.... Perfect condition and a perfect gift. Can not belive it when I saw today that someone is selling the same book for almost £2000. Its just silly! Is the book even retailing at these prizes. There are no stamps or anything in the book i bought ( just checked ). Deal of my life!!

Jul 10, 06 9:22 am  · 
 · 
phuyaké

I ordered both Atmospheres and Thinking Architecture from overstock.com for around $50 and got them within a week...

Jul 10, 06 11:23 am  · 
 · 
ochona

there are like three copies of "thinking architecture" in the bookshop of moderna museet / arkitekturmuseet in stockholm

even though they were being sold in sweden...they were way cheaper than $375

Jul 10, 06 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I just recieved Atmospheres and Thinking Architecture from Amazon for something like US$25 each. Unless you're a first-edition obsessor...

Jul 10, 06 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Yeah ... you can find cheap copies on AddAll as well

Jul 10, 06 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: