Archinect
anchor

Public Vs. Private

interiordesignit

I need to enroll in a college by fall 15, I am having trouble deciding whether or not public or private. any help much appreciated! 

Mar 21, 15 6:37 pm
curtkram

public

Mar 21, 15 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Public.  But why do you "need" to enroll?

Mar 21, 15 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

haha. I guess what I mean is I want to major in interior architecture...therefore, I have to enroll in a college. So why public? I always thought private was better?

Mar 21, 15 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

Is there no adult you can talk to? Ask them about the cost of college, hopefully someone who understands the difference between public and private.

Mar 21, 15 8:37 pm  · 
 · 

Public institutions often are cheaper than private colleges in general but those differences are sometimes not as much of a difference and sometimes private institutions are cheaper but the other equation in mind is quality. There is no simple rule on this. The quality of each institution is dependent on each particular school at a particular time. This is very fluid and hard to determine. The ratings given are to some part opinion based even though they may have some criteria but the reviewers that do the rating are human and how they feel any particular day may effect and influence their decisions in rating.

It isn't a question anyone can really answer as you are looking for in this. 

I would tell you this much, do you need financial aid from FAFSA and the likes? Accredited public institutions are recognized by FAFSA and you can get these programs. However, private sector may or may not have FAFSA financial aid support. 

Your financial standing and how you are going to fund going to college will be something to consider when deciding which school. 

Mar 22, 15 12:50 am  · 
 · 

How you are going to pay for the tuition, books, fees, housing, food, etc. Take that into consideration because at this stage, it will boil down to money as that would filter down the list because some colleges/universities may be too rich for your blood so to speak. 

Mar 22, 15 12:53 am  · 
 · 

geezertect,

Enroll is whenever you take a course. Enroll is something you do at any college. It is the process of selecting a course, pay tuition and basically reserve your seat in the class.

It should not be confused with applying which is done prior to enrolling in classes. This can be applying to the institution and applying to the particular degree program. Sometimes both.

Mar 22, 15 12:57 am  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

Thank you all for your help!

Yes, I would need FAFSA. Well not to jump the gun, But I guess it boils down to a few schools I have narrowed down to. I will put this in a new thread for maximum responses!

Mar 22, 15 10:30 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

You need to speak to your guidance counselor.

Seriously.

Get off these boards, go speak to him or her.

Mar 22, 15 10:58 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: