Archinect
anchor

Summer Architecture Programs

Laswell

Hello, first-time poster here. Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed in another thread.

I am a prospective M.Arch 1 student looking to gain some design experience this summer to enhance my portfolio for admission. I am particularly interested in enrolling in a discovery program this summer, and was hoping to gain some insight here.

I have heard great things about Harvard's Career Discovery program, and UC Berkeley's [IN]ARCH program, among others. Before I apply, I thought I would see if it's generally recommended to enroll in a summer program at the school to which you plan to apply.

Also, I was hoping to solicit users for recommendations on summer programs that could best prepare an incoming M.Arch 1 student. Thanks in advance.

Mar 15, 15 7:43 pm
chandni

Hey scba_steve,

I actually went to UC Berkeley's [IN]ARCH program and it was a great way for me to develop my portfolio further with the projects I did during the program. I'm now at UC Berkeley in the M.Arch program and it's been great so far. There have been several benefits to going to [IN]ARCH before applying to grad school - I felt as though the program was a good snapshot of how grad school might be, I was able to speak to faculty about work I was interested in, and get general exposure to the school.  The one major difference I've heard from the GSD program and UCB program is that GSD has all grad students teaching it while at Cal, you'll have faculty leading the studios. 

All of my friends from [IN]ARCH, who applied to graduate school, got accepted. That's not to say all of them to Berkeley, but where ever they did apply they were accepted. In general I think it's a great way to go to test out what the M. Arch program is like. 

Hope that helps!

Mar 26, 15 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
verarith

Hi chando,

Glad I saw your post - I was just admitted to Berkeley’s [IN]ARCH program and had some questions before jumping the gun.

This is understandably a preparation for a master's program.  Was there much formal guidance on portfolio and applications in the program curriculum?

If I did the program, I’m considering residency in the nearby International House. You know anything about this housing option - if the atmosphere is welcoming, students are interesting, etc. ?

Do the projects incorporate sustainable innovation in any way? Do you develop much technical skill? Any dabbling in AutoCAD or Revit?

Would you say the projects allowed room for independent/group work or was there a fair amount of instruction?

Could you tell if the ARCH session covered any interdisciplinary methods from CITY or LAND? Is there much interaction among the students?

Your post was reassuring! And Steve good luck perhaps I will see you in CA this summer!

Mar 26, 15 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

I've taught twice in Harvard's Career Discovery program. Strong Career Discovery students do have a leg up in admissions at Harvard GSD, because your instructors' feedback from the end of the program will be considered by the admissions committee. So if you impress your instructors, you'll have someone on the inside (in most cases, a respectable recent graduate) vouching for you. 

That said, applications from highly qualified applicants who did not attend Career Discovery can stand just fine on their own. Conversely, if you attend Career Discovery and do NOT do  well, you won't likely be admitted to Harvard GSD. (But the experience and reference letter from your instructor may still help you at other schools.) 

If you have a particular interest in one school, I think it's a good idea to attend that school's summer program over others! When the program is taught by the school's own students, graduates, and instructors, it gives you quite a bit of insight into the school's pedagogy and culture. You'll meet people and learn more about what it's like to live in that area, and so on. But if it's much more convenient/affordable for you to attend a program in your own city, that works too.

Mar 31, 15 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: