Archinect
anchor

Architecture Inquiry

jcoate

For my inquiry project I will be looking into the perceptions that people have about architects. Some of these perceptions come from the depictions of architects in the film and television mediums. It also stems from an overall romanticized view of architecture that seems to have perpetuated through time. But if you ask just about any architect about becoming an architect they just tell you to run away from it as fast as you can. Is this just an act of self-preservation to limit the competition for work or is it rooted in something else. This leads me to the overall question that I hope to bring into context through this project. What does it mean to be an architect? 

Looking for responses to be used as additional points of view for the project final. 

Thanks

Mar 6, 15 10:19 am

The first rule of fight club is you never talk about fight club.

Mar 6, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
proto

turn your section sideways -- THAT's your project!

Mar 6, 15 10:55 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

rofl Miles....

It stems from the romanticized ideal.  Folks going into architecture tend to think they'll live in wonderful custom houses, design these beautiful buildings, be loved and praised for having a prestigious career. 

Oh, and don't forget the other mediums like publications... they show those cool buildings you are sure you'll be working on (flat out ignoring the thousands of 'other not so cool' buildings you drive by each day and understanding there's a architect behind them too). 

The reality sets in only after obtaining your dream.... 

Mar 6, 15 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

chicks, man...

Mar 6, 15 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

JcoateThe problem with all work life is that you never know really where you’ll end up. These things you mention shine light but as you walk toward the light the light changes, others begin to walk with you, the light refracts and you lose sight of the light….that’s where the disillusionment comes from and the cries of “don’t enter”. Beware of the light – shine your own light.

Mar 6, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: